• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

Mark1954

What's up guys. John Caldwell from San Angelo, TX here. Picking up a bobbed M35A2 next week. Hope to get a lot of valuable info from this page and hopefully make some new friends!
Welcome to the site, I have gotten a lot of useful info for my particular vehicle. I hope the other threads are as valuable.
I have yet to get together with the SA contingent. I live in Midland, but have a place about an hour North of SA where we keep and use our Freightliner/Unimog 419 SEE.
I need to bring it down to SA later in the month for the inspection to have it registered as a 'former military vehicle', so I can drive it on the road when necessary. Maybe we can arrange an informal meeting over luch or coffee somewhere. Apparently that service is only offered on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month. BTW what is a M35A2 ?
Mark

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Green Iron Addiction, John.

Yes, welcome aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Where, Sir, will you be fetching your bobber from? Nearby or a longer recovery?
My contact info can easily be found in the Sunday Sermon thread - link in Signature Block below.

Good to have you around!

John

Deadpoolz

Welcome to the Green Iron Addiction, John.

Yes, welcome aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Where, Sir, will you be fetching your bobber from? Nearby or a longer recovery?
My contact info can easily be found in the Sunday Sermon thread - link in Signature Block below.

Good to have you around!

John
Hey John! Thanks for your reply. I'll be picking the truck up from Austin tomorrow!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should sign up as well, I run the route from Frisco TX to Quanah TX (79252) occasionally with one of the two M923A2's and often with an M1101 behind the pickup. I could make it to San Angelo for a parade. That's not too far, and I like that part of TX for some reason.

Sign me up!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris tiedemann
I live out here in Memphis, TX...in Hall countyShoot me a message if y'all are going to be running up hwy287.
We might have some mutual friends. The Game Wardens in Hardeman and Wilbarger are friends of mine. I know it's not next door, and Childress Warden seems to handle stuff west of the Hardeman co line. But, you never know.

My ranch is in the SW corner of Hardeman Co, down on the Pease River.

Another Ahab

I should sign up as well, I run the route from Frisco TX to Quanah TX (79252) occasionally with one of the two M923A2's and often with an M1101 behind the pickup. I could make it to San Angelo for a parade. That's not too far, and I like that part of TX for some reason.
Maybe you got Comanche blood in you from way back and you're feeling a tug from the old ancestral lands:

- That town would be named after Quannah Parker, Cynthia Ann Parker's son, and one of the last of the fighting Comanches.

How long has your family been in Texas?!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct sir. Cynthia Parker was kidnapped as a child, married a chief I believe, had three kids, Quanah Parker being one of them.

We bought a ranch down on the Pease River about 15 years ago. Ironically, Cynthia Ann Parker was recovered in the Battle of the Pease River (or some name like that). She wasn't too happy with "White life" and tried to get back to her family at least once. Then died of the flu. Or suicide.

Not a Native Texan, but I got here as soon as I could.

Another Ahab

We bought a ranch down on the Pease River about 15 years ago. Ironically, Cynthia Ann Parker was recovered in the Battle of the Pease River (or some name like that). She wasn't too happy with "White life" and tried to get back to her family at least once. Then died of the flu. Or suicide.
I bet that's beautiful country down there.

Cynthia Ann Parker was "saved" by people who thought they were doing her a favor.

She spent the rest of her life trying to return to the Comanche. She considered them her real family, where she felt most at home. Her story is pretty amazing.

If you ever pick up a book with her story and give it a read, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

:beer:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Pease River Breaks are a stark contrast to the flat farm land that you experience driving down 287 between Dallas and the West. It goes from flat to canyon, in a very short distance.

For a cell phone panorama while sitting in a blind, it's not too bad. But it seriously does not do it justice. It is stunning country.
IMG_0632.jpg

Champ173rd

There's a mighty fine item, and a winch to boot, nice score.

What's the stack behind the cab on the driver's side, is that a stanchion for an antennae maybe?
Thanks! Its actually a red light. This one has some mods to it. has locking hubs, power steering. Bearing and seals are all done and brakes. The 109 box he put on it and I will convert into a second camper for when we get to much family at the lake, they can stay in that plus store the boat toys ect in there. I got some custom made rims for it as well I'm working on getting some singles. Yanno money..lol He's done little things as well that add up and make it what it is. So I'm excited to get this. I sold my 85 CJ7 Jeep and bought this. I cant wait to add my taste to it as well as some fresh paint. This winter I'll get to building the camper on it but for this year it'll pull my stuff across the sandy beach of Elephant Butte.. hehe

Another Ahab

So I'm excited to get this. I sold my 85 CJ7 Jeep and bought this. I cant wait to add my taste to it as well as some fresh paint. This winter I'll get to building the camper on it but for this year it'll pull my stuff across the sandy beach of Elephant Butte.. hehe
I'm guessing you didn't lose any sleep making that decision:

- "Hmmm, a commercial standard civilian jeep or a tricked out brute of an M109.....which should it be?"

Champ173rd

I'm guessing you didn't lose any sleep making that decision:

- "Hmmm, a commercial standard civilian jeep or a tricked out brute of an M109.....which should it be?"
Well, I wasn't planning on selling my Jeep but I got offered and nice amount for it.. so I took it.. then I started to look around for a duece after I traded in my boat and bought another one but bigger. Can't wait to get it now..lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks