• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roller fairlead for a deuce

Lonesome715

Now that I have a winch and what I think are all the brackets I need to install it I plan to move forward with rebuilding it and getting it on my truck. However, I have noticed that just about all the winch trucks I have seen have chewed up front bumpers. I get why, that winch can cause a lot of damage when used in precarious situations. I, on the other hand, would like to prevent that damage. Would a big roller fairlead do that job? If so, where should I look for one big enough? I thought about building one from scratch, if I do what should I keep in mind. Also, do any of you all know of other options? I am just trying to figure out how to prevent damage and keep my bumper looking good.

Lonesome715

I have not seen one big enough but that does not mean they are not out there.

I did not think of that. I can see how Joe using a winch for the first time can do that.

gunboy1656

It is very easy not to damage the bumper...Don't wind the winch all the way in to the chain.

As for finding one, look for an old rollbed in a junkyard and take the one off of it.

m816

How about using the roller from a five ton winch. Same frame dimensions. Might even bolt on to the bottom of the winch. Damage to the bumper can be avoided by not realing the cable all the way in and getting it tangled aroung the bumper. Always use two people duting the winch operation. and don't try using the front control, but use the inside controls and a good signal man. Don't use a guy neamed Bill Peasley either

54reo

I've fab'ed three sets of bolt-on deuce roller fairleads for folks.

Always thought about making a few more and posting them up for sale, just never got around to it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How about using the roller from a five ton winch. Same frame dimensions. Might even bolt on to the bottom of the winch. Damage to the bumper can be avoided by not realing the cable all the way in and getting it tangled aroung the bumper. Always use two people duting the winch operation. and don't try using the front control, but use the inside controls and a good signal man. Don't use a guy neamed Bill Peasley either
I looked into the 5ton roller setup. It would take a LOT of work to "make it work". You'd be better off starting with something else.
Maybe some of those rollers to load a boat that come in a "V" shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks