• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roof top Pool

m35a2cowner

Has anyone found an effective way to get rid of the water that pools on top of the canvas over the cargo area on the 35? I added the extra boards as per the PS magazine article but it doesn't seem to be enough. Thanks

JDToumanian

Store canvas indoors. :D

Really, though... If I'm going to cough up that kind of money I want it to last. My canvas will never see a drop of rain. I will have rotted away before my canvas has.

Jon

m35a2cowner

roof top pool

Would be nice to park out of the weather but for now it has to stay outside (Motor home cover in winter). Spray the canvas with silicone every year or two. The canvas came with the truck and has some age on it but holding up well.

RE: roof top pool

put a wooden bar lenghtwise on the middle of the bows to keep the canvas from hanging down inbetween.
I would not drive with that permanently, though, as I would fear that it rubs through the canvas eventually or damages it.
There is also a paraffinized solution which can be applied to the canvas to protect it, read that somewhere here in the ss-f.

Cdub

Re: RE: roof top pool

roger-wilco-66 said:
put a wooden bar lenghtwise on the middle of the bows to keep the canvas from hanging down inbetween.
I would not drive with that permanently, though, as I would fear that it rubs through the canvas eventually or damages it.
There is also a paraffinized solution which can be applied to the canvas to protect it, read that somewhere here in the ss-f.
Also I might add is that you could put some plywood across the bows that's about 18-24" wide to support the center and keep it from pooling and allow the it to just run down the sides.

C'dub

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: roof top pool

Is this a canvas only issue? I've never had water pool on the vinyl tops on my previous M35A2s.

FormerNewMVGuy

RE: Re: RE: roof top pool

Had a heavy rain here last night, No pooling in between the bows on my canvas! As Cdub said I have bought a couple of sheets of 1/4 inch luan plywood and I will rip them at 24 inches and put across the bows length wise, helps hold the canvas without drooping between the bows!

m35a2cowner

Canvas

I added 3 boards as per a PS article on droopy canvas. I guess I could add a couple more (maybe a few shingles too). I was just hoping for an easy fix; something like pulling the ropes a certain way or something like that. By the way, the boards are chamfered and painted and have been on there for about 2 years with no apparent wear on the canvas. The paraffin preservative sounds interesting I'll have to look for it. Thanks

Attachments

m35a2cowner

Canvak

That looks like the stuff I put on my canvas top. Although, its a silicone based stuff in a metal can. Easy to do just put in pump sprayer and spray on canvas. Maybe the paraffin stuff is in the bottle. Here in Ohio you can get it at (as well as other places I am sure) the Anderson's, no need to journey to Cabellas