• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie ? about future M925 Purchase - TT&L

Triple C

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your purchase. There is a lot of information on the site about lisc in Tex. Maybe widen your search parameters and I suspect a number of Texas members will weigh in as well. Start reading the TM's so you know your way around your truck and depending on your base of knowledge, maybe find someone to give you some pointers on how to drive it safely; it isn't just a big car as you have probably found out already. Lot's of fun though. Again, welcome.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming that you bought it off the GL site, there are some tutorials there as to what you need to do. If an EUC is required, do that first. Once you get clearance to get the truck, have it picked up. Once in your posession you can apply for the SF97 and once you get that, on to the tag and title agency.

TexasChris

Thanks for the replies guys! Haven't actually bought yet....just very very interested.....

Recovery, I am looking on the GL site, do you have any links to the tutorials? I think I may have found (how to title after purchase) but if there are others I don't know about I'd appreciate the help.

---From what I've found....it's 70 bucks for the sf97....any one care to share how much tags and titles go for?

Last edited:

Sambor

I just finished with registering mine here in Texas. No problems what so ever. First thing -- make sure you have all the documents from GL if that is where you got it. They sent me the SF97, Government title transfer to GL, a re-assignment of title from GL to me and a notarized bill of sale from GL to me. I had the truck inspected, went to the courthouse and got plates for farm use. You can register it as a former military vehicle and use the serial number as the license number by stenciling it on. You may not have to carry insurance if you register it this way, but your driving it is very restricted as to what you can do with it. I gave them the empty weight of the tractor for registration purposes and it cost me 138.00 for plates. I have insurance on mine but they didn't ask for proof.

Hope this helps,
John

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the thread with the most complete information about Texas Former Military Vehicle (FMV) law and requirements that I have found. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67255-Texas-FMV-Laws-(Former-Military-Vehicles) It is the result of a ton of work by our Chaplain, John on this site and it was extremely helpful for me. You can register it FMV and get a license plate or just using your "bumper numbers". It cost me $62 for five years on my deuce. While it may be true you do not technically require insurance, it is a good idea to have anyway IMO. I do not know what part of this expanse called Texas you are located in (Hint - include a clue in location) and am sure some places may be familiar with FMV's, but for the most part, tax offices are not too familiar with the process. Patience and perseverance on your part are important. Technically, I believe you need a class "A" license for a five ton. I have been wanting to get one myself. Finally, welcome to the madness from far west Texas.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may not have to carry insurance if you register it this way, but your driving it is very restricted as to what you can do with it.
He may not need to insure it if he wants to keep it on his property and never drive it on the road, EVER. Yes, that's pretty restricted.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He may not need to insure it if he wants to keep it on his property and never drive it on the road, EVER. Yes, that's pretty restricted.
Then why ask what it takes to make it street legal in the first place:)