• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie Deuce purchas question

moscar45

Hello fellas, I'm new and really enjoying reading up on these vehicles. I'm considering one now that there will be a couple available in my neck of the woods. My question is the condition listings for deuces on GL.

I see some people have bought them with recent service done before being decommissioned, but the ones I've been seeing are F7 condition, which states they need reufrb work to be serviceable. Do they all get listed like that, or are the ones I'm looking at turds? The batteries have been removed, so should I assume there are better options out there? Thanks for any info.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay no attention to condition codes. They are notoriously wrong as to the true condition of the item. Best thing to do is go look at the truck in person if you want to know what shape the truck is in. If not it's a roll of the dice.

jbingvtx

you should look at the classifieds, you may pay a little more to buy one from a private party but you will be able to test drive it and actually have a better idea of the condition. Also no waiting for GL paperwork. Either way...get one, they are cool!!

Stan Leschert

For your first one, buy from a private reputable seller. Several post here.
Try the classifieds here as well.

Once you have your feet wet, that may be the time to gamble on the auctions.
Make sure that you view the unit, and/or have someone who knows preview it.
Do consider shipping costs before the commit to anything.
Best of luck, and keep us posted.

moscar45

Thanks for the tips. I missed the deadline on a cucv I was interested in today, but I only wanted the axles for a jeep project.

As far as the Deuce is concerned, I have a couple that will be available about 100 miles form the house, so I'm not too worried about getting them back. I was an auto wholesaler until this past winter, and still have friends at my disposal that will give me a hand bringing one back.

I was figuring that if I bought from a private seller I would have $500 minimum in transport fees, but buying close to home from the auction I'd have less than $100 getting it home. I figured the rest of the $$ could go towards parts/maintenance. Realistically, what is the normal dollar amount that makes these trucks mechanically sound after picking one up?

Garandfan

Plates/Insurance, Buy a lot of GL1 Gear Oil, D0T 5 brake fluid, new belts/hoses, change out the anti-freeze. Change oil, change fuel filters, go thru electrical connections, get a brake bleeder, get the new head gaskets and the rest of the motor gasket kit, get some tires, get a lot of PB Blaster, Get the BUDD SOCKET, and a big ass wrench/torque bar, air hose with glad hand hook up, bottle jack, MAKE GOOD FRIENDS HERE! Minimum $1200 total. Then you start finding things you want to fix as you are making it seaworthy, .....CHA CHING CHING CHING!!!!! But being a Deuce owner..... Priceless!