• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie here! Purchased a Hmmwv Jan 2, 2020

crwray

The brake switch is notorious for dropping out of adjustment and not being triggered correctly. Had it happen on my HMMWV while it sat for a few months without any use. Hit up the Technical Manual for a good guide on how to adjust the brake pedal switch. While you're reading through that...check out the Operator's Manual for a better understanding of how the light switch works. One half is blackout light modes-the other half is regular light modes. It can help explain what selection options do what things.
Thanks a ton WireFox! I was leaning in that direction of the notion that the brake switch adjustment may be the issue. I will read up on it. The light switch I think I have figured out (YouTube and TMs)

Jtalbot

Gents it's been a hectic few weeks but I can say my opinion on the humvee hasn't changed, I love it. Since purchasing the humvee I've done a few things, nothing major.

- replaced front two CV Shafts
- purchased two rear CV Shafts (will replace soon)
- installed a back up camera
- installed off road reverse lights

I also recently picked up a 4l80e transmission that was pulled from another humvee for FREE. I was told the humvee had around 10,000 miles on it but I'm still wanting to rebuild it for peace of mind. My question is when I rebuild it I also want to beef it up because I plan on pairing it with a 12v Cummins (97 model?) In the next few months. Any input or suggestions is much appreciated!!!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a ton WireFox! I was leaning in that direction of the notion that the brake switch adjustment may be the issue. I will read up on it. The light switch I think I have figured out (YouTube and TMs)
I'm in the area you live in...and have brake light switches and more.

Crik13

Definitely want to understand the lighting switch. Quick ticket or even an accident without the stop and turn lights on.

No need to draw any more attention to " It was camouflage and didn't see it" CAMO
I would like to understand the light switch too, also having troubles with head lights and blinkers not working or working when they shouldn't be?

Thanks for the help.

Crik13

It was a random one off Amazon and worked great. It got damaged in the mountains and I removed it. I'll order another one soon.

Update on my build:

5.9l 12v Cummins swap
40" nitto's
4L80e
New hard doors and black soft top (not installed)

I'll post pictures of the build when I can get to a PC
Thats great, I just bought the hard doors but can't locate a black 4 man soft top. Any advice on where to get one?

Crik13

Gents it's been a hectic few weeks but I can say my opinion on the humvee hasn't changed, I love it. Since purchasing the humvee I've done a few things, nothing major.

I also recently picked up a 4l80e transmission that was pulled from another humvee for FREE. I was told the humvee had around 10,000 miles on it but I'm still wanting to rebuild it for peace of mind. My question is when I rebuild it I also want to beef it up because I plan on pairing it with a 12v Cummins (97 model?) In the next few months. Any input or suggestions is much appreciated!!!
How did you wire/install the back up camera?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would like to understand the light switch too, also having troubles with head lights and blinkers not working or working when they shouldn't be?

Thanks for the help.
Grounds. Grounds. Grounds.

It is a pain in the backside, but anything attached to the aluminum body of the HMMWV should have two wires for every function. One is power. One is Ground. The TM gives you the wire numbers, but with some effort and a lot of time - crawling around under your truck searching for wires that are bolted to the frame - is money saved and time well spent. Unbolting those connections and wire brushing them and the terminals will help solve problems. A little bit of anti-oxidation paste between the terminals and the frame will keep those connections clean for years.

The switch has a ground as well. Follow the harness and do the same to it as well. Yeah, it is an aggravating thing to do. A real royal pain, but with time and effort the problem will disappear.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grounds. Grounds. Grounds.

It is a pain in the backside, but anything attached to the aluminum body of the HMMWV should have two wires for every function. One is power. One is Ground. The TM gives you the wire numbers, but with some effort and a lot of time - crawling around under your truck searching for wires that are bolted to the frame - is money saved and time well spent. Unbolting those connections and wire brushing them and the terminals will help solve problems. A little bit of anti-oxidation paste between the terminals and the frame will keep those connections clean for years.

The switch has a ground as well. Follow the harness and do the same to it as well. Yeah, it is an aggravating thing to do. A real royal pain, but with time and effort the problem will disappear.
I don't think any wires are attached to the frame itself, only the body and drive train.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think any wires are attached to the frame itself, only the body and drive train.
Thinking out loud...

What about the battery grounds? Unless something has changed, the battery grounds go to the frame. Then the magic is to get that ground from the battery and frame to the aluminum body of the truck. That is part of why there are as many "grounding issues" as there are on these vehicles. (or that is how it has been explained to me)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking out loud...

What about the battery grounds? Unless something has changed, the battery grounds go to the frame. Then the magic is to get that ground from the battery and frame to the aluminum body of the truck. That is part of why there are as many "grounding issues" as there are on these vehicles. (or that is how it has been explained to me)
The battery ground goes to the starter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The battery ground goes to the starter
I understand, but somewhere there I keep thinking that there has to be a frame to body bonding strap. Maybe not. I searched the TM's and I guess I am just not looking for it correctly. I will scratch around a little more tonight. Definitely has to be something that ties the battery ground to the body of the truck. Otherwise, the lights and fan and blower motor and air conditioner motor wouldn't get a good ground.

OR, maybe @Milcommoguy can answer up and shake the cobwebs out of my old brain to talk about this?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand, but somewhere there I keep thinking that there has to be a frame to body bonding strap. Maybe not. I searched the TM's and I guess I am just not looking for it correctly. I will scratch around a little more tonight. Definitely has to be something that ties the battery ground to the body of the truck. Otherwise, the lights and fan and blower motor and air conditioner motor wouldn't get a good ground.

OR, maybe @Milcommoguy can answer up and shake the cobwebs out of my old brain to talk about this?
Well I am not sure of all HMMWV's but I stripped down a 93 M998 and there was ZERO connections (intentional) from battery negative and the frame.

That is why if you bust a starter housing and drop the starter where it shorts to the frame the first thing that smokes is the parking brake cables, one of the only paths the current can take from the frame to the body/drive train ground connection.

Last edited:

MOgunner

I know this is an old post, but did you happen to use the AutoZone half shafts, have they held up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks