• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie question new to the deuce!

Hello everyone my dad and i just got an m35a2 earlier this week and we love it! It's the dead of winter right now here in Ohio and we haven't been able to really tinker with it a whole lot yet. I have a really rookie question to ask. We can't seem to find the valve to properly drain the air tanks. My dad drove these beasts 30 years ago but can't remember where the valves are lol. Could anyone describe where the valves are located? I know it's probably a dumb question but we know it's important to do this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

mhassett

Valves are located under the air tank located under the frame, inboard the frame rail adjacent to the spare tire.
MHassett

gunboy1656

First off welcome, what part of Ohio are you from?

Do you have the TM's to read? If no they are on the site for free to download. Make sure you do.

Finally lay down in the snow behind the spare tire, behind the frame and you will find the tanks.

Wow that was easy i didn't really know what i was looking for at first. We were just leaving the windshield wipers on to drain the tanks lol thanks again for the replies! and i wrote down the TM number i didn't even know what that was at first either! I am from Jefferson county Ohio which is near the West Virginia and Pennsylvania boarders. I can't wait to post some pics on here and interact some more with everyone on here!! Thanks Again!! Any other newbie info you want to post would be great and i am going to read the TM's for sure lol

emr

to be honest the idea is to drain off water settling in the bottom of the tanks, running the wipers did actually nothing to help this, they the air i mean will bleed off on there own eventually, but the water is what has to be drained after a days use,and u need to do that ... just so U know the reason, and they will not rot out if u forget a few times, but it is the correct thing to do, as is allot with these trucks, they are fun and a good deal of work, allot of posts for u to read about like brakes , tires, fuel, oil, batteries, good luck and hope U enjoy your new toy for sure... :):):)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, welcome to the addiction and up your location please. You have a lot of members out that way or over this way for that matter.

:)

sw

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, if Zout hands you a jar with liquid in it and says "Here have a drink!", think about it.....

;-)

sw

gunboy1656

Thanks Scott I'm Tom by the way that was a cool article "aerodynamics of a barn" lmao what part of PA is Darlington?
If you go through Columbiana, on Route 14, then it switches to route 51 in PA. I am about 5 miles or so inside PA. I have a couple friends in Steubinsville, East Palestine and I used to work with a guy from Toronto.

gunboy1656

There is at least 3 vehicle shows coming to Ohio, this summer. Possibly 4.

- Findlay
- Dayton
- Alliance

Not really and off road events. I plan on trying to get to as many as I can. With any luck I will have the deuce and mule with me for them.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard.

I grew up just south of you in Belmont County. Many fond memories back "in the valley".

Adding to what gunboy mentioned,

There are shows and then there are rallies.
Shows are for cleaned up and restored vehicles to show off. Most always include a swap meet.

Rallies are more for playtime with your vehicle - Trail rides, camping, and general goofing off.

Shows:
The Findlay show is a good one. Untitled 1

The Dayton show is actually this year's site for the National Convention of the MVPA (miltary vehicle preservation association) It moves around the country to a different site each year. It should be a BIG one.
(from the MVPA website : Ohio, August 4 – 6, 2011: 36th Annual MVPA Convention in Dayton, OH at the Nutter Center on the campus of Wright State University, 3640 Col. Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH. 100+ Vendors, 150+ historic military vehicles, tours of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force and more. Look for details in the February/March Supply Line.)

I don't know anything about the Alliance show.

There is also a fairly new show in Central Ohio.
Not updated yet, but here is last year's info: 2010 MID-OHIO MILITARY VEHICLE S

Now for Rallies :

Haspin is a good one. Actually a great one. Southeast Indiana in June. Straight west on I-70 for you. Lots of guys from Ohio will go. You probably can find someone to convoy with.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/56312-haspin-2011-dates-info.html
This will be the 7th annual. Just search for Haspin to see past events.

There is also one in Rausch Creek in Eastern PA, in early spring?

And a big one in Georgia in the fall.

I'm sure I have left some others off. Other members will chime in.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't drain the air tanks you need to read more before driving one! Welcome to SS too. Read the TM's before getting in it![thumbzup]