• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ross Steering Gear Box

3rdmdqm

I'm rebuilding my steering box. It's a Ross TA box. The worm gear is in decent shape as are the races and bearings. The sector shaft is showing wear. I also believe the sector shaft bushings need to be replaced (have also posted for parts in classifieds). Question is this, if the sector shaft is worn with some grooves that you can feel by running your fingernail over it, is just replacing the bushings going to work or will it fail prematurely? I can polish the sector shaft and then hone the bushings for a snug fit, however does anyone sell a rebuild kit with the sector shaft, seals and bushings? I can only find ones for jeeps online and they are only for 15/16" shafts which are too small. I have a shaft seal and box casing/housing gasket already. There is no visible wear on the shaft pins (last pic) although there is some rust pitting that needs to be buffed out. The sector shaft is 1 3/8" OD. The bushings appear to be 1 3/8" ID and 1.45" OD

Attachments

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check pages 224-225

Steering Box

I have an older reference that list the same part number for each bushing. The linked TM shows a separate parts number for each.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks