• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rotating drawbar ring on m105a2

sweet trav

anyone done this? if so, can you offer some helpful advice? The main reason for wanting to rotate it is to increase the front trailer towing height and level out the trailer.

Thanks,
T

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anyone done this? if so, can you offer some helpful advice? The main reason for wanting to rotate it is to increase the front trailer towing height and level out the trailer.

Thanks,
T

Heard that it can be done. Looks like you just get that nut lose rotate then tight retighten. I would like to do this myself so I'm hopeing it can be done that way.:driver:

mistaken1

Been done many times. Search recovery threads.

After loosening the nut hit it straight on (front to back) with a BFH. I am talking a 12# sledge hammer not a drilling hammer.

sweet trav

um, yeah. I thought is wa scalled the drawbar ring (manual term). I was told that I might have to heat it (to make the housing expand) up once I've removed the pin and nut.

sweet trav

Been done many times. Search recovery threads.

After loosening the nut hit it straight on (front to back) with a BFH. I am talking a 12# sledge hammer not a drilling hammer.

sort of confused by "front to back" phrase...that sound like it sould go in the direction of the rear of the trailer...don't you want to hit it towards the front?

Barrman

Hitting the lunette side to side will also break the cone fit loose. BFH is your friend. 1-1/2" wrench is what you need for the big nut on the lunette by the way.

amaverick88

if it is like the one that i helped change on a 105 it may be easier to keep the nut on the threads on it hook it up to either a tractor or a tow vehicle and shake the lunette ring loose. it all depends on how tight the lunette ring is or how long it has been since the last time it was turned.

mistaken1

sort of confused by "front to back" phrase...that sound like it sould go in the direction of the rear of the trailer...don't you want to hit it towards the front?
What I have found is after loosening the nut hitting the lunnette on the front (ring) driving straight into the frame (towards the back) seems to loosen it the quickest and easiest.

Barrman

It all comes down to this. Get the nut loose and commence to beating on the thing with the biggest hammer you can pick up. Once you get it apart, clean the inside out, smear grease everywhere, flip it and tighten the nut back up. It will come apart with no problems for the next few years now. Then it will be BFH time again.

Rthomas

I used a pipe wrench and a cheater pipe to break the nut loose. Then I chained the trailer to tree and the lunette to a tractor and it did not come loose. Hitting it dead on is the best way to remove it and it will fall out.

wikallen

mistaken1 is absolutely correct. Loosen the nut, then take a full size sledgee and hit the tip of the ring in towards the trailer. Then hit the top of each side to try to rotate. Rinse and repeat. Keep doing this and it will eventually pop loose.

Pulling it down the street with the nut loose, hydraulic porta power, heat, all failed in comparison to 1,2,3 (hit in, hit top left, hit top right) over and over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks