• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rotted headliner removal.

tgejesse

Anyone have good suggestions on how to remove rotted headliner? I used a paint scraper to take the chunky layer off… all that remains is the sticky layer and it’s impossible to get off.

Open to hearing others successes and failures!

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a pressure washer while wearing safety glasses. Easily knocked the dry rotted foam right off. The base layer of glue I have yet to tackle. Will probably end up using acetone or similar product sparingly.

tgejesse

Quick update, spoke with someone who has dealt with these headliners a lot.

He says if you take the roof off, flip it upside down and douse in gasoline…. The headliner will dissolve right away.

Won’t be able to try this for a while but wanted to document the idea here for others.

BLK HMMWV

I removed mine with a cordless Milwaukee multi tool.
I used a worn-out blade with no teeth left on it.
it was like a puddy knife.
Made short work out of it. might need some ear protection but other than that it was like shearing a sheep.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

He says if you take the roof off, flip it upside down and douse in gasoline…. The headliner will dissolve right away.

Won’t be able to try this for a while but wanted to document the idea here for others.
Gee, what could possibly go wrong with using gasoline. the roof padding is just an open foam design and adhered via adhesive, any 3M adhesive remover and a scrapper will take it off, GooOff works excellent, as well as break cleaner, either way, it’s a semi-slow and dirty process, doesn’t require the roof come off, but certainly makes it easier and cleaner, but I’ve done many both ways.

springer1981

I didn't see any mention of using a match with this method ... is there a Match involved too? Just want to make sure I understand the process correctly :LOL:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While your talking about removing it, has anyone came across good replacement insulation to replace it? I've found the part numbers for the 4 pieces and it looks like mac motors has them all in stock. but for about 400 bucks!

Last edited:

tgejesse

While your talking about removing it, has anyone came across good replacement insulation to replace it? I've found the part numbers for the 4 pieces and it looks like mac motors has them all in stock. but for about 400 bucks!
There are guys that sell neoprene water jet cut set for like 400$… but even that is insane to me.

Need a good alternative for under 200$

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a pressure washer while wearing safety glasses. Easily knocked the dry rotted foam right off. The base layer of glue I have yet to tackle. Will probably end up using acetone or similar product sparingly.
Try orange oil based cleaner like goo-gone, or goof off

thoner7

Mine is crumbling away too, messy stuff. I am going to try and preserve the outer layer to use as a template for cutting the new material.

I had thought about using some kind of foam but that could be squeaky. This mineral wool stuff is great for sound, repeals water, and could work.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t use Rockwool on anything but a building that you are fireproofing! Worst stuff ever! You look at it and you itch… I would rather not have a top than have it inside my truck

thoner7

Don’t use Rockwool on anything but a building that you are fireproofing! Worst stuff ever! You look at it and you itch… I would rather not have a top than have it inside my truck
Rockwool doesn’t itch, that’s fiberglass. The stuff in that link isn’t the batts you stuff in a wall, it’s stiffer, more like foam board.

thoner7

It sure would be easier off the truck and upside down. Re-Installing would be a heck of a lot easier too but count me 1 vote against gas. Bad things happen with gas...
Is taking the roof on and off easy?? I assume the seals stick it down

thoner7

Have you found a replacement for your headliner yet? I gave up trying to remove the old adhesive, and figured I’d just cover it up.

I had originally thought if peel and stick carpet squares, or a thin outdoor carpet and some spray adhesive . Then I had this thought, might add some sound reduction: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VNXL3JC/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P96XCDOUIJGI&psc=1

My only worry, with any option, is the adhesive failing over time.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you found a replacement for your headliner yet? I gave up trying to remove the old adhesive, and figured I’d just cover it up.

I had originally thought if peel and stick carpet squares, or a thin outdoor carpet and some spray adhesive . Then I had this thought, might add some sound reduction: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VNXL3JC/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P96XCDOUIJGI&psc=1

My only worry, with any option, is the adhesive failing over time.
buy the current issue OEM roof pads and use all the Proper OEM retainers and it will be fine for the next 15yrs or longer.
I’ve done many ceilings, it’s labor tedious but not hard, the new pads have adhesive already applied

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave up on removing the glue residue on mine. Attempted but quickly found that it would take much more time and effort than I was willing. I replaced mine with OEM and the retainers are sufficiently holding them in place. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks