• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RPM Sensor???

SuperchargedRS

I need a RPM hook up for my remote start Alarm that I am installing,

As I was reading the CUCV Manual (the 289-20 PDF) I noticed that it said that when adjusting the idle RPM, plug the STE/ICE into the plug on the M-1009 to find your current rpm,

DOES THIS MEAN THAT THERE IS A RPM SENSOR THAT I COULD TAP INTO FOR MY ALARM???

-Thanks

ida34

I am not sure but I think the vacuum pump plugs in where a distributor should go on the cucv. The humvee has a sensor instead of the vacuum pump in the same position.

mangus580

I am pretty sure the CUCV pulls some tach info from the alternators. Problem is... we dont know what the signal is it provides...

for a remote start sense, it might work. Its just looking to understand that the engine is running...

gt1009

remote start, you should do a tech writeup on this topic for sure!!!!!
ya we need that, I have one laying around the house, but I didn't think it would work too well on the diesel, so it's just been sitting there for almost a year now, but it sure would help to have it on these cold chicago mornings.

SuperchargedRS

I will look into this further and let everyone know what I find, I will also probably post a thread on the outfitting of the 1009, also the remote start system I am using is designed to work for diesels, it is a Viper 791XV, two way remote start system, it has a function where it can sense the wait to start function.
I guess if all else fails I could use a tach interface from Dakota Digital, they have one that goes off the "W' terminal on an Alt, or another that counts the teeth on the flexplate.

-

dilvoy

There is a company called "Tiny Tach" that has a small led tachometer that gets it's RPM impulse from something that is attached to any one of the injector lines. It might work for this need and add a tach to the truck as well.

dilvoy

Electronic injector pump N/A 6.5 detroit diesels use the same injectors as the fine thread 6.2's. The turbo 6.5 detroit's use injectors with a higher pop off pressure, but are still, non electric, mechanical injectors and will fit into a later 6.2. The device that senses the pressure pulse within the injector line will work for both the DB2 and DS4 injector pump equiped engines.

Sam27

Interesting that RPM is available via the connector. I wonder what options that opens up for plain old tachs. I was considering the autometer alternator based tach, but that's a pain since it needs to be calibrated at a shop.

Juan

isspro mades a 2 1/16 unit that comes with a magnetic pickup and two tiny magnets you have to glue to the harmonic damper. It´s been working for 8 years without trouble. No calibration needed

The only issue I see with remote starting in cold climate is How will you have the gas pedal depressed for the fast idle solenoid to engage?.

Sam27

Juan said:
isspro mades a 2 1/16 unit that comes with a magnetic pickup and two tiny magnets you have to glue to the harmonic damper. It´s been working for 8 years without trouble. No calibration needed
Can you provide a psrt number and/or source?

SuperchargedRS

Well I can’t find a RPM sensor on the front or rear of the engine; I still have a few calls I have yet to make.

What I think I will do is acquire the RPM off the W terminal of the Alternator (I still need to take a close look to see if there is a W terminal on the stock Alts, if not the guys at Dakota Digital say that I can have one added on with little problem).

I think that W terminal is the way to go, as all I would have to do is graft a wire from the alt to my alarm (probably make up a nice OEM looking plug on the alarm side), then re-wrap the wires.

For all the people that want to add a tach gauge I would recommend this from Dakota Digital (dakotadigital.com):

"The DSL-1 Universal Diesel Tachometer Adaptor will accept a signal from the "W" terminal found on some diesel alternators (not all alternators used on diesel engines have this extra terminal) and converts the signal into a tachometer signal for a 4 or 8 cylinder standard ignition system tachometer. The DSL-1 is adjustable to allow for the different numbers on the alternator as well as different pulley sizes on the engine and alternator. Calibration should be done using a light tach or another known reference for speed."
Dakota sells them for $65

I think for the purpose of the alarm I won’t be needing this, as the alarm "learns" the tach signal, so it probably will just look for a jump in the signal; I will call DEI (the mnfgr. of Viper alarms) on Tuesday or wed. in regards to this.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring diagram shows what is called a "tach buffer module" in the diagnostic circuit. It gets a signal from the "R" output, which should be the same as the "W" output. If I remember, it is marked on the case. What the signal from the "buffer module" looks like is another question, but the "R" output should work with an aftermarket device such as the one above.

sloop

Page 864 of the 289-20 TM has a wiring diagram of the diagnostic connector. It does show the Tach Buffer Module, which receives signal from the "R" terminal on the left-side alternator. It would be neat if someone figured out how to hook up a tach off of this tach buffer module.