• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RPM Signal for 4L80E

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replacing my 6.2 with a 6.5TD in my M998 a few months ago and we just swapped in a 4L80E. I went with the EZ-TCU controller and I need an RPM signal for it. I thought I could use the RPM sensor in the front of the 6.5td but I don't seem to have a signal from either pin though the controller. Should I be able to use the RPM sensor? If not, what are my other options? I'm struggling a bit on what to do next. Thanks for any advice.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the two leads must be grounded or the controller will not see any signal on the other lead, you should use twisted pair wires and ground the lead at the same place the controller is grounded.
There are different types of crank sensors but the HMMWV one did work with my TCI controller on my 6L80

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the two leads must be grounded or the controller will not see any signal on the other lead, you should use twisted pair wires and ground the lead at the same place the controller is grounded.
There are different types of crank sensors but the HMMWV one did work with my TCI controller on my 6L80
Interesting. Does it matter which wire gets grounded?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically this is what you have.

Reluctor.jpg
But again you do not want to ground the "return" lead at the engine, it should be the same location the EZ controller is grounded or you can damage the controller with voltage spikes.
It is best on all sensor wiring to use twisted pair to reduce noise caused by external influences.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mogman I see you mention using a TCI controller for your 6l80. Is it the EZ-TCU? I'm asking because I'm having trouble with the settings on mine. I can get it to go into 4th but only at lower speeds. When I give it more peddle, it downshifts to 3rd and the mph reading goes down instead of increasing with speed. Calling TCI, they tell me I need some kind of speed controller from Dakota digital that is connected to the transfercase instead of the transmission. They told me the same for the rpm signal which you explained how it worked so I really didn't need to buy something else. Kinda wonder if this is the same case?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My controller is completely different but there are some folks on here that have used the EZ-TCU, hopefully they can be of some assistance.
All the TCI for the 6L80 needed was an RPM and a TPS signal, have you played with the TPS settings?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6L80 actually has a TCM built into the valve body, it has a speed sensor internal to the transmission, the TCI controller actually just takes the place of the ECM which had the inputs for RPM and TPS to manage the engine and communicated with the TCM, totally different animals.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My controller is completely different but there are some folks on here that have used the EZ-TCU, hopefully they can be of some assistance.
All the TCI for the 6L80 needed was an RPM and a TPS signal, have you played with the TPS settings?
I think the only TPS setting is the calibration, one for idol and one at wot. I don't see anything else to change on TPS.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the instructions it does look like you will need a digital speed input.
You will likely need a pass through digital adapter, not sure which one, again hopefully someone will chime in.
Maybe this one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks