• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT-524 and intercom control question.

HOWEY

I have just wired up my 524 set and ran the cable (cx-4723) to my intercom box (C-229) and from this i have connected a LS 454U loud speaker and a handset H-250/U.

My problem is i cannot hear myself transmit in the front loudspeaker or in the earpiece of the handset at all, the volume is up and the set does power up when the front handset is keyed.
When at the radio itself i can hear my transmissions in the set speaker and through the earpiece of the headset H251.
Im also experiencing a sound like a helicopter in my ear when the set transmits???.
I have swapped handsets and know that all my audio kit is good, any advice would be great.
Posted a few pics for clarity........

Attachments

762luver

Hey There,
I'm not sure where you got the info for your set up but you don't have the parts you need.

The first thing to get is the Amplifier, Audio Frequency Model AM-1780A/VRC. This will run you just under $300 for a tested working unit.

The next component you need is a crew station Control, Intercommunications Set Model C-2298. This will run from $25 and up depending on where you get it from.

The amplifier connects to the RT-524, the amplifier then connects to the crew box.

The module you have is used in a dual RT set up. You absolutely need the amplifier to run an intercom system.

This web site will give all of the info you need or where else to find it.
VIC

They are a fantastic resource for all things green radio.

b.t.w were did you get your RT? It does look beutiful.

Good Luck!

HOWEY

Hey There,
I'm not sure where you got the info for your set up but you don't have the parts you need.

The first thing to get is the Amplifier, Audio Frequency Model AM-1780A/VRC. This will run you just under $300 for a tested working unit.

The next component you need is a crew station Control, Intercommunications Set Model C-2298. This will run from $25 and up depending on where you get it from.

The amplifier connects to the RT-524, the amplifier then connects to the crew box.

The module you have is used in a dual RT set up. You absolutely need the amplifier to run an intercom system.

This web site will give all of the info you need or where else to find it.
VIC

They are a fantastic resource for all things green radio.

b.t.w were did you get your RT? It does look beutiful.

Good Luck!
Hey 762luver, im not really after an intercom system as such I just want to be able to use the radio from the drivers seat and hear my transmit audio trough the loudspeaker on the dashplate?

I do have a spare c-2298 crew control box at home if i swap this over would i get what i want or do i still have to go for the AM-1780?

As regards the radio it was a irish army job and i gave it a cosmetic refurb, see pics below, also have a R-442 on route that will get the same process.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the audio of what you are saying into the microphone come out of the loudspeaker that will also be picked up by the microphone, you have forgotten about 'feedback loops'. People go to great lengths to avoid feedback in audio circuits, as they generally destroy the circuits, or pop fuses and circuit breakers.

HOWEY

dashplate

So whats the solution? Surely somebody on the site drove a m1009 with a rt-524 and r 442 set in the back during their service , what did ye have on the dashplate??
Just want my setup to look and perform the same, many thanks.....

Last edited:

762luver

The plate that mounts to the dash is a mount for a chemical agent detector as far as I know. I haven't seen it in a tech manual anywhere but that's how i understand it. A crew box and speaker mounted there may not be "correct" bit to the uninitiated it will look right if not down right cool!

To run the crew box you must have the amplifier. That I know for sure. You can run the external speaker and hand mic from there. Just remember to switch off the external speaker on the R/T.

I'm in the process of putting an intercom system in my '09 and will be running headsets and boom mics to the crew stations. An intercom is not needed, but the setup facilitates the same concept of what you are going for. My end result will have some HAM gear connected to the B and C positions eventually.

Good Luck

HOWEY

The plate that mounts to the dash is a mount for a chemical agent detector as far as I know. I haven't seen it in a tech manual anywhere but that's how i understand it. A crew box and speaker mounted there may not be "correct" bit to the uninitiated it will look right if not down right cool!

To run the crew box you must have the amplifier. That I know for sure. You can run the external speaker and hand mic from there. Just remember to switch off the external speaker on the R/T.

I'm in the process of putting an intercom system in my '09 and will be running headsets and boom mics to the crew stations. An intercom is not needed, but the setup facilitates the same concept of what you are going for. My end result will have some HAM gear connected to the B and C positions eventually.

Good Luck
Thanks make sure you take pictures of the process please....:-D

762luver

Will do, but i need to concentrate on fixing cancer spots and general mechanical issues. I have the amplifier, 3 crew stations and some head sets. I also acquired a second shelf from a member I'll be mounting above the existing shelf for the HAM gear. It should be nice when I get it all done. You know, time and money . . .

How did you do the lines and lettering? Hand paint with a tiny brush very carefully?

HOWEY

Will do, but i need to concentrate on fixing cancer spots and general mechanical issues. I have the amplifier, 3 crew stations and some head sets. I also acquired a second shelf from a member I'll be mounting above the existing shelf for the HAM gear. It should be nice when I get it all done. You know, time and money . . .

How did you do the lines and lettering? Hand paint with a tiny brush very carefully?
Yeah, picked them out with a good quality modelers brush and a water based art paint, apply with steady hand and wipe off excess with a damp soft cloth.
A bit tedious and i wouldnt attempt it if your a recovering alcoholic :wink:, but i was well pleased with how it turned out.

Ive shamed a few friends into freshening up their sets also......:doghead:

Red_506

My 09' also has this setup on the dash. You should not hear yourself speak when transmitting; you need to get someone else with a radio that has the same frequency range to do a good comms check. You do not need the whole VIC system unless you want your passengers to wear headsets and be able to communicate with each other through that system.

2deuce

Howey, I was told I needed the same exact setup you have to use the new MK2418 kit I bought. That base I bought last week is what has gotten me started looking for the necessary components. RT524, c2299 and a cx4723, 13'. I also got the speaker, but I wasn't told I needed that. I just got the parts last night so I haven't installed anything.

The bracket on the dash is a reinforcement bracket for mounting your radio equipment. I have seen it in TM's. It may have been used for other things but definitely it was used for radio stuff. The thing that's wrong is it wasn't mounted directly to that reinforcement base. There is a mounting bracket that mounts to the reinforcement base that you mount your other components to. It gives you more room too. I don't have that mounting bracket and will have to make one as close as I can to the pictures in the TM if I can't find one.

If anyone has this mounting bracket, please post it's dimensions.

Thanks,
Greg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's time for Family Feud again. Good answer, good answer.

Survey says? BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The bracket on the dash was originally for the control box for the extreme cold weather heating system not for radio equipment. The bracket (some may only have screws surviving) on the floor in front of the passenger seat is for the M42 alarm box that is part of the M8 chemical agent detector.

2deuce

It is shown in other TM's to.

However the military wanted the CUCV set up determined what went on that reinforcement bracket.

I like the radio look.

Hope somebody posts with the dimensions of the mounting plate that goes on the dash reinforcement bracket.

Thanks,
Greg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Round 2 of Family Fued. Survey Says BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Wrong again.

If you refer to figure 240 in TM9-2320-289-20P you will see the bracket that was mounted in all CUCV's coming from mfg as part of the heater control mounting.

The bracket for the rado speaker system for the SINCGARS was a special bracket that covered the left side of this as shown in figure 5-7(2) in the TM cited above.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks