• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rt176/prc10 problems

circleburner12

guys im having problems with my prc10 radio, and need help! i've got a power supply unit that i got from a guy in italy.(inverter45). connected it to the 6v 12ah battery. heres the problem, i cant get the prc10 to transmit to the rt68/pp112 thats in my jeep, but the prc 10 will recieve audio from the rt68-pp112. can anyone help me out with this problem or some info on someone who would be willing to fix the prc10. thanks for all opinions and info.

thxs michael

Wile E. Coyote

There are a lot of variables and without some basic test equipment you'll chase your tail. What are you using for an antenna on the PRC-10? Long, short - or something hooked up to the BNC connector? Without at least a wattmeter you're not going to know if the PRC-10 is outputting anything. Also, don't be too physically close to the RT-68 when you try it. You can also try tuning the RT-68 a click either side of the correct frequency and see if you pick up anything there -- repeat the experiment a couple of clicks higher and lower than the correct frequency. Also put a voltmeter across the 6V battery terminals and see what kind of voltage drop you get when you transmit on the PRC-10. It should register something, but if it's going down to 3 volts...time to charge it.

I can't think of anyone repairing PRC-10s at the moment - especially since PRC-25/77s and early SINCGARS became affordable.

circleburner12

sorry for the late response, been away from the laptop for awhile.
the prc10 has the maesuring tape type antenna!
prc10 was about 5-10 ft away from the rt when i was trying to transmit.
i'll also try a volt test next chance i get.
thxs michael

wildbill88

There are a lot of variables and without some basic test equipment you'll chase your tail. What are you using for an antenna on the PRC-10? Long, short - or something hooked up to the BNC connector? Without at least a wattmeter you're not going to know if the PRC-10 is outputting anything. Also, don't be too physically close to the RT-68 when you try it. You can also try tuning the RT-68 a click either side of the correct frequency and see if you pick up anything there -- repeat the experiment a couple of clicks higher and lower than the correct frequency. Also put a voltmeter across the 6V battery terminals and see what kind of voltage drop you get when you transmit on the PRC-10. It should register something, but if it's going down to 3 volts...time to charge it.

I can't think of anyone repairing PRC-10s at the moment - especially since PRC-25/77s and early SINCGARS became affordable.
why should I not be close when transmitting on a side note my rt-68 doesn't receive or xmit someone dickered with it at some point in time and put a small circuit board in the thing I removed it and the darn thing dosnt work but everything else on the ting does I have good side tone and whatnot

Last edited:

cagosti

When you transmitt on prc-10 do you hear yourself in the earpiece of the handset of the prc10 ?
it's called side tone

papakb

First thing is to get a wattmeter and see if the radio is outputting any power. A simple CB wattmeter will work here since your not making qualitative measurements. If the radio is outputting then you need to figure out if it's on frequency and is the handset functional? Swap the handsets and check again, if you still don't hear anything you'll need to get a frequency meter.

The PRM-34 test set used to be called the "God box" by radio techs because it could measure forward and reflected power, field strength, frequency and it had a limited signal generator in it that would put out a low power signal every 5 mhz that you could check your receiver with. They're about half the size of a shoebox.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Armando

First thing is to get a wattmeter and see if the radio is outputting any power. A simple CB wattmeter will work here since your not making qualitative measurements. If the radio is outputting then you need to figure out if it's on frequency and is the handset functional? Swap the handsets and check again, if you still don't hear anything you'll need to get a frequency meter.

The PRM-34 test set used to be called the "God box" by radio techs because it could measure forward and reflected power, field strength, frequency and it had a limited signal generator in it that would put out a low power signal every 5 mhz that you could check your receiver with. They're about half the size of a shoebox.

Kurt
KG6KMJ
Ok, ill tell what i got:
My prc9 is aligned on all rx chain, handset is ok (i have 2 and both checked in a sem35), contacts and wires form handset to transformer T1 are ok (checked), 1.5v ok(checked), 10khz tone injected, transformer is ok. The problem is that L4 (modulation transformer) has the primary blown, so V2 (modulator) is not getting any B+ in transmision, so there is not modulation so there is not AFC action at all so, transmitter is off frequency also, but it stills presents 1w over 50ohm load (diamond wattmeter with dummy load) so V3 (power oscillator) is ok.
I have L4 out of its can, in fact, one coil of the primary is opened, but i guess is a 100000000000000 turns primary with very thin whire jajaja, i cannot fix this coil with this **** of bobin.
I need to know if there is any place to buy another one or if it is possible to decrease the primary inductance in order so that i can wind and fix the primary, but with lower inductance... i dont really know how it would affect the modulation.
Thanks you all.

cagosti

Or you can listen for your voice in the earpiece when you transmit if you hear yourself then for the most part the radios ok don't even try to talk to another radio till that first test works

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
why should I not be close when transmitting on a side note my rt-68 doesn't receive or xmit someone dickered with it at some point in time and put a small circuit board in the thing I removed it and the darn thing dosnt work but everything else on the ting does I have good side tone and whatnot
If you are too close to a more powerful radio when it transmits, the receiving radio gets too much power coming into it and bad things happen to the innards (IE, you get to replace them, or replace the radio). Can even happen with radios of the same power, if their output is more than a couple of watts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks