• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rules clarification

chief1983

Since I just read it, as I'm sure almost every other member did, I noticed it forbid links to eBay auctions. When that was written, auction may have very well been the vastly predominant listing type on eBay, but now with the widespread habit of setting up storefronts and selling Buy It Now-only items, surely we can link to these types of listings as there is no chance for collusion? Or is there some other spirit to this rule that I'm not aware of?

That's a good question Chief.
And since we're on the subject of rules clarification: No zombie threads? What's that about? I'm not tryin to be a smarta,.......er uh wiseguy here, but were there that many people having rediculous conversations about zombies, or is this a metaphore I'm not clear on? :popcorn:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The rules about no auction links has been around for a long time. The no zombie threads is a recent rule, but why should we waste server space on something that won't happen? I'm sure there might be a zombie website somewhere on the interwebs for you to post to.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone is looking for a part and you know there is one at a deal on ebay or buy it now , you can always PM them the info just don't post it in the forums .

aggopian

Plus if you allow linking to current E-bay, GL Auctions etc regardless of Buy It Now people will invariably link to auctions, collude and carry on. Just more mess for the mods to clean up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I just read it, as I'm sure almost every other member did, I noticed it forbid links to eBay auctions. When that was written, auction may have very well been the vastly predominant listing type on eBay, but now with the widespread habit of setting up storefronts and selling Buy It Now-only items, surely we can link to these types of listings as there is no chance for collusion? Or is there some other spirit to this rule that I'm not aware of?
Please remember that this website is privately owned. It is a dictatorship and not a democacy.

The owner of the site sets the rules and no one else. Moderators just try to enforce the rules.

You can make suggestions and hope they are adopted. No need to argue about it.

Here is the auction rule as of today:

• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

If you break the rules then expect to pay the price.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Ok, here is one I could use cleared up.

It says don't post a link to an auction that ended due to the link going dead, that I get. But we get told to post the pics from the auction, that I also get.

However there is another rule that states we can't post copywritten pics and yet we do it with every pic GL take for their auction.

So which is right?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here is the auction rule as of today:

• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

If you break the rules then expect to pay the price.
The PM function is your FRIEND [thumbzup]:driver:

Bighurt

Ok, here is one I could use cleared up.

It says don't post a link to an auction that ended due to the link going dead, that I get. But we get told to post the pics from the auction, that I also get.

However there is another rule that states we can't post copywritten pics and yet we do it with every pic GL take for their auction.

So which is right?
"Photographs are copyrighted material of GL and may not be copied or used in commerce without the express written consent of GL."

That's a hard one for GL to fight, the disclaimer is only in terms and conditions you read when you become a member however you don't have to be a member to view the images. Also since most people use the images for "look what i got" rather than commerce it's pretty weak.

You can link to the image source direct but at some point the image is probably deleted and the image will go dead. However the image will stay active longer than the link to the auction itself.

I'm not trying to argue it's a valid point but I don't see the GL police out fighting the battle either.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see where the rules prohibit posting even items for sale in buy it now format"
Yet an Ebay store buy it now. Is Not an Auction. Since it is not an auction, and the rule about it is under the auction rule = grey area.

Maybe that rule should be under posting links for items that are for sale, just sayin because it isn't an auction.
I can see where a link to someones own buy it now should be restricted to the classifieds.
You know an Ebay store / buy it now isn't really any different than say Joe Blows Surplus dot com items listed.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The simple reply is - Don't post auction links active and closed.

You may mention that "A seller by the name of JohnDoe123 on a popular auction site has what you're looking for" when trying to help someone out. But please no links.

GL's rules state that the images are there's so if there ever was an issue with it, the images would be removed from our site. I've already had to deal with copyright issues twice on the site since I started working on things here. If it's copyrighted, PLEASE don't post it.

saddamsnightmare

March 2nd. 2012.

I guess I must be one of the few on here who can see the wisdom of what both Mr. Stansbury and Petracy are trying to do. Yes, it is a dictatorship, no, they are trying to save us from our bad habits picked up over many years of neglect. If you aren't happy about it, set up your own banana republic.... it's a free country. You will find out that servers and all that technical fold de rol costs money.... and needs a man with a brain to maintain it. No, I'm not putting in for the job, like the Scarecrow, I'm waiting to get a brain from the Wizard.....
So as you may guess, I'm backing the folks what own and maintain the site, and I humbly suggest you give it some thought too, as they have been kind enough to less us play on their field....[thumbzup]

:popcorn:

One truck's in Texas, and the one here hates ethanol, what's not to love about winter??

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, we sure waste a lot of time lately on worthless threads arguing about the rules around here.

Winter and not enough warm time for loving on your trucks or what?