• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run a Deuce from Redstone to Indianapolis?

davey8943

Guys!

I am the proud new owner (pending acceptable EUC, of course!) of an M35A2 W/O W!!! I am a first time duece purchaser, and am wondering what transportation from Redstone to Indianapolis would cost me?

I wouldn't even try to guess on what the timing would be, but could anyone give me an estimate for a tractor - trailer rig to load up at Redstone, and drop off just south of Indianapolis?

Thanks!
Dave

rwbrown72

I'm in southern Illinois and have a deuce at Redstone to pick up as well. Maybe we could split a truck. Let me know if you would be interested.

cleb

davey8943: I am going to Redstone in the next week or so to look at rwbrown72's truck. If you PM me Event and Lot #, I can take a look at what condition yours is in.

Last edited:

davey8943

Thanks guys, PMs sent to both with more info!

Cleb, I have reason to believe that the brakes are bad. I think this was one of the trucks that I previewed in Frankfort KY. My notes from that trip indicate that the brake pedal went straight to floor. If you confirm that, it may be in my best interest to have it transported!

cleb

I noticed in the GL pictures that the front passenger wheel looks to have some sort of fluid on it. Its possible the front brake cylinder is bad and the fluid has leaked out.

mightymanx

If you are interested in a different route.

I had Rocket City Truck repair pick mine up they are about 5 miles from the base I sent the invoice to them and they sent the shop truck over got it runnning and back to their shop. they gave it some love full fluid flush valves lights the entire once over, and I them went down there and drove it the 3500 miles back home to Washington state.
:shock:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Redstone has a loading dock and a Big Arsed Forklift so loading with no brakes can be done.

Two deuces will fit on a 53 foot step-deck lowboy (I shipped two back from Arkansas).

Try to find a driver that has moved MV's before.

There are a couple of guys on SS that haul commerically.

Redstone to Indy shouldn't take more than six or seven hours up I-65.

davey8943

Excellent idea mightymanx! I will PM for details.

It is always good to have the contact information for a local (known competent) shop!

rwbrown72

I had Rocket City Truck repair pick mine up they are about 5 miles from the base I sent the invoice to them and they sent the shop truck over got it runnning and back to their shop. they gave it some love full fluid flush valves lights the entire once over, and I them went down there and drove it the 3500 miles back home to Washington state.
May I ask what that cost you? Sounds better than chancing it on an unknown.... but they can't find everything on a 40 year old truck!

cleb

3500 miles!!??? Which way did you go? I did it last summer in about 2650. San Juan Islands to Huntsville.

wsucougarx

Mightymanx and Cleb have me thinking about doing a recovery from Redstone to WA State....Hmmm. Seems all the nice M109A3's are on your side of the states. 3500 miles....2500 miles....lets see...500 miles/10 hours/day comes out to 5-7 days.

Don't worry about it right now, if your event is anything like the last three I have won from Redstone, you'll have a good 6 - 8 weeks to prepare. Start saving now, and leave the driving to the haulers. My guestimate for the bill would be about $1500 per deuce - and that's, of course, based on the price of milk in Newark...

mightymanx

Mightymanx and Cleb have me thinking about doing a recovery from Redstone to WA State....Hmmm. Seems all the nice M109A3's are on your side of the states. 3500 miles....2500 miles....lets see...500 miles/10 hours/day comes out to 5-7 days.

I did it in 5 days avg 52 mph and 10mpg on a 109. Next time I will will require a heater. that -20 with a 50mph windchill got silly cold and my left foot got some frostbite. (poor circulation it's screwed together)

the 4 way flashers got a workout but nobody even paid any attention to me. I am doing the same thing for a friend but comming from Iowa this time in the summer his 109 soon to be stored at my buddies house. And he used to be a light wheel mechanic so he can due the once over.

Things I would first before I do the trip again.

1 A heater !!!!!!!! the propane buddy only worked till it got to cold for propane to atomize and it didnot work that great anyway the window seals were pretty shot (I had snow blowing around the cab)

2. The muffler mod before I set out. I will post pictures of mine. And yes it is silly quiet.

3. The temperfoam under the seat canvas mod. after 3 days it got less fun with 30 year foam supporting the buttocks.

4. Make a radiator block before I set out for a winter trip it was hard to make one in route I did my trip in December and the engine only peaked at 160* before I made the block after I could get 180* and the engine was much happier.

Bonus tip:

The hand throttle can be used as a ghetto cruise control saves you from putting a brick on the throttle and my leg can only hold that peddal to the floor so many ways till the calf cramps up. CAUTION it will also drive youstraight off a cliff and does not shut off with brake application use at your own risk I gave myself 3 days of driving that truck to get used to it's character before I even attempted it.

If you have any specific questions give me a shout.

mightymanx

3500 miles!!??? Which way did you go? I did it last summer in about 2650. San Juan Islands to Huntsville.
From Redstone I made my up to 70 then to 80 to 84 Stoped by Boyce in Ogden to pick some vital spares. and bonus stuff then home. It was the wrong time of day when I went by Memphis Equip. to stop.

The required stuff I needed at Boyce was a Tach and Spedo the tach conked out on day 2 and a Spedo filled up with oil the trans vent must have been clogged the trans was pushing oil up the cable into the spedo, and it would not drain out. By the time I got to Boyce It was 90% full. I took a boat load of tools and I am pretty savy on repairs. I did not need 90% of the tools but to me tools are like v=garlic and vampires the more you have the less problems (vampires) you encounter.

I stayed south as long as I could being as it was in December. if I would have made a straight diagnoal I would have saved many miles but Even that trick did not save me from a severe ice storm. I dang near took 40 but I wanted to avoid California at all costs. and My route had support stops (friends) about every other day.

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckerman.....you call that pile of concrete a "dock"???? BTW, two will also fit on a 48' stepdeck.

davey / rwbrown : I will be headed up that wayn 3rd week of April, if your EUC's work out by then. Contact info: pandctrans@gmail.com

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bonus tip:
The hand throttle can be used as a ghetto cruise control saves you from putting a brick on the throttle and my leg can only hold that peddal to the floor so many ways till the calf cramps up. CAUTION it will also drive youstraight off a cliff and does not shut off with brake application use at your own risk I gave myself 3 days of driving that truck to get used to it's character before I even attempted it.
I tried that trick in my M818 with less than glorious results. It worked well until I came into the county seat with 25 mph limits. When I pushed it in from full throttle - NOTHING HAPPENED!! I kicked it out of gear and drifted to the side of the road between the sheriff's office and the courthouse, with the engine still roaring at full throttle. I had to quick put the parking brake on (and make sure it was holding), jump out, unlock the hood latches, jump on the bumper, lift the hood and manually push the throttle down. I'm sure the sonic waves upset the sleeping judges and deputies who were probably wondering if that bomber was going to actually land in their town. It felt like it took me 10 minutes to stop that noise. I haven't tried that trick since!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman.....you call that pile of concrete a "dock"????
PC.....I was being charitable......it beats what they had prior which was the BF forklift unloading them by picking them up and having the trailer pull out from under them....lots of FUBAR fenders for a while.

Personal note........I have met PC and he is a good guy.....I would reccomend his services to anyone.