• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run away LDS mutifuel engine.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Hey guys got a question. I know it's not a M35a2 truck but..

We have a M52A2 with the LDS mutifuel engine
Few days ago it started and went right to max red line rpms for 5 secs then died and it won't start up again. 2 weeks before it started just great

So what should we look at?

Some people say fuel filters?

Jeepsinker

I wanted to answer you on there (facebook) seeing all those stupid answers, but I'm on a ban for calling Kamala some choice expletives on one of her official posts, so...

The suggestions that it could be fuel filters indicates a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Your fuel lever underneath the shutoff cover assembly stuck in the full fuel ( starting) position, and then the hydraulic head button fell off because the plunger was partially sticking even at high rpm.
You'll need to remove the hydraulic head, replace the o-rings and reinstall the button as well as free up any sticky components. There's plenty of guide videos on how to do that on Tactical Repair channel on YouTube.

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I wanted to answer you on there seeing all those stupid answers, but I'm on a ban for calling Kamala some choice expletives on one of her official posts, so...

The suggestions that it could be fuel filters indicates a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Your fuel lever underneath the shutoff cover assembly stuck in the full fuel ( starting) position, and then the hydraulic head button fell off because the plunger was partially sticking even at high rpm.
You'll need to remove the hydraulic head, replace the o-rings and reinstall the button as well as free up any sticky components. There's plenty of guide videos on how to do that on Tactical Repair channel on YouTube.

See yeah I knew fuel filters where not the answer.

Thank you we will look into this.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one of the reasons we leave the shut down cable / handle pull out when we leave the truck. If you had done that and the fuel control unit assembly is stuck it just would not have started. Much less of a problem to check / fix a stuck / sticky fuel control assembly. If I go to help someone with a truck that has not been started for a while before I do anything I remove the cable shut down cover and check the fuel control assembly. Sometimes if the shut down handle was pushed it and it wants to go to WOT and the fuel control is sticky but not full on stuck the cable can still pull the fuel control assembly back to the stop position. Then there is the full on stuck assembly and the cable shut down will not pull the fuel control to the stop position. Then no matter what it is going to WOT and you will have the problem you have. Plus the money spent on new under wear.
Now for the other thing always check the engine for hydro lock. Here coolant has leaked into cylinders. We should have left the cable pull out and with it out we try to just crank the motor over not start. If it cranks normal and the cranking engine does not slam to a thud stop then we can figure there is no hydro lock. Then we push in the handle and keeping you left hand on the shut down handle you hit the starter with you right hand. If as said it is just a sticky fuel control you can pull the engine shut down cable to stop the engine before it goes to WOT.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks