• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run do NOT walk!!

reloader64

In regard to the weight limit, and proper licenses, at the time I did not know about the weight restrictions. I was in violation of the law in that regard.:oops: Law enforcement in OK and TX never gave us a second look. Now that I know the rules, I am planning on upgrading my driver license to stay within the law.

Scott

nhdiesel

The main thing I'm seeing overlooked by most posters is TRAILER BRAKES. I see at least one poster mentioned it. If the trailer has brakes, NO PROBLEM. For some reason people get scared over somewhat large loads pulled behind a pickup. If the trailer is properly set up, the trailer STOPS ITSELF. The truck is for getting it moving and steering.

Some specs:
E-rated trailer tires: 3100# ea. rating. X 4 = 12,400#. Add in up to 4k lb. tongue weight (well within reason) = 16,400 lb. trailer GVW.

Deuce: 13,600 lb. 16,400 - 13,600 = 2800 # left for the weight of the trailer.

Cutting it close, but fine. Now factor in G-rated tires (as many trailer tires are) and the rating really goes up.

"But the pickup is so light compared to the trailer!!!" Yea. A 8k lb. truck pulling a 17k lb. trailer sounds scary. Ever see all those trucks pulling big, heavy trailers every day? Lets see, a 25k lb. truck pulling a 75k lb. load. Notice the ratio?

Pickup tow ratings have nothing to do with safety, they are for warranty purposes. Many make no sense whatsoever. Many 2500s are rated for a higher trailer GVW than a 3500! Case in point: I was looking up the tow rating of my father's '06 Chevy, Duramax, Allison 3500 dually 4-door 4x4. The tow rating was only around 11k lbs! In comparison, a 2500 std. cab was rated over 16k lbs! Here is one example of a 2500s trailer tow rating:

2500 Specs

Legality:
Most states don't follow the mfg. tow ratings because they are there only as guides for the mfg.'s to cover their butts. Trailer weights are only minited by what the truck and trailer are registered for.

General common sense: I'd much rather be on the road with an experienced driver towing 17k lbs. behind a pickup than with Grandma, who can't even park her Lincoln, driving a Class A motor home down the highway.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks