• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run flat question

beehumvee

Hi all friends.

I have a balance tyre problems and the problem seems to be that the current tyres are too old and bad or irregular used.

I have bought two used tyres and would like to mount them in one axle. The thing is that the current tyres are supposed to have the runflats on. So what do you recomend to replace the tyres? Replace them with the runflat or without it?

Thank you

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for the 16.5 inch rims, the shoulder is at a different angle than most people are used to, it's designed to use a run flat to keep it centered and retained. Without the run flat there is a chance it can come off.
If you don't want to use the run flat there are some people making bead lock inserts out of PVC pipe that can be used in their place. Keeps the bead locked on, without all the weight of the run flat.

So either use run flats, bead lock spacer of some type, or change to a different size/style of wheel assembly.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can.....

A): pull out your existing runflat insert and reinstall it in the replacement tire. (I would gladly explain all the details, if interested.)
B): get rid of the runflats and run some kind of (internal) beadlock, instead. (see this thread...)
C): assemble- and even run your new tires without either one. But that's not an option if you ever wanted to air down and/or do some serious off-roading.(for the reason explained in post #2)

sue

If you want run flats, keep them,
if not don’t, I think that we are the
only one of our little group (6 hmmwvs)
that have run flats still on all the tires.
Only because when we bought ours
the tire were almost new.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want run flats, keep them,
if not don’t, I think that we are the
only one of our little group (6 hmmwvs)
that have run flats still on all the tires.
Only because when we bought ours
the tire were almost new.
I still have mine installed as the tires were new and more importantly, I really don't like the idea of changing one of those heavy SOB's by myself while in traffic. I'd rather have the ability to limp home or to a garage and have it changed.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my runflats out as did a friend of mine on his hmmwv. Neither of us used the PVC spacers nor has had the slightest problem after many miles. We both carry spares which have never been used. To each his own.

Inspector 1

I replaced all 4 of my tires with the Goodyear military tire on original 2 piece rim. I left the run flats off. I did not replace run flats with the PVC inserts. Tires balanced quite well. I have about 3000 miles on tires, mostly highway. I have a 700R transmission with electronic overdrive so I can run 75 miles per hour all day long. I keep tires aired up at 40 lbs. in front, 45 lbs. in rear. Hmmwv is not really set up for off road. I live 30 miles north of Houston. Pretty much a concrete city.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RF’s are the bead lock for all the military 2 piece rims, you can run without RF’s, just done air down if you go off road, or you risk blowing the tire off the bead. Lots of my customers don’t care about them and have me remove them.
i personally want them on my trucks....

Ajax MD

How much does a single run-flat weigh? Are the run-flats identical between the bias-ply tires on 8-bolt rims and radial tires on 12-bolt rims?

Sorry for the hijack.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always go with the magnesium ones instead of the rubber. I did.
I looked into Magnesium and RWH strongly advised against. He feels they are an ignition risk. Magnesium burns super hot and cannot be doused easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks