• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway starter, blown Starter Relay

SSG ALBANESE

Hello Everyone,

I am stumped, my M1008 has more issues that I care to admit too. Here is the break down.

1) Starting system:

For the second time the truck will not start, it acts as if i need to tap the starter with a little hammer love tap. With the ignition all of the way off and key out the starter stayed engaged on the flywheel preventing the truck from running.I disconected the batteries to save the starter (killed the starter solinoid though). CUCVelectric helped me find that it was the starter relay under the dash above the 4x4 shifter. I replaced it with the HD relay recommended. Also had the starter (new gear reducted made for the CUCV - not stock but still 24V). It ran good for about two months - if that.

Yesterday I stopped and turned the truck off. About two minutes later I jump back in and try to start. No crank. I get out again to love tap it with the hammer but before I could get on the ground the starter starts spinning, with my broken leg in a cast I couldnt get under the hood to the batteries fast enough so when I opened the hood the smoke of the cucv gieny was already in my face. Starter relay? what would cause this to keep happening ( the relay never smokes nor smells of burning).

Anyone know what could cause this or what I should check for? Thank you.

2) Blinkers:

Will blink if I finger the lever : ) but not automatically. I have replaced the flashers, checked all bulbs, replaced front running light sockets. Any ideas?

3) Horn:

Horn didnt work. I tested the horn it was bad, I replaced it... no honk honk sooo I replaced the bad fuse (checked the rest of them too) then the horn decided to start blaring on its own. I had to remove the fuse again.

4) Glow Plug system:

Crap lol I will get into this later after I can get some help on the other stuff.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your knowledge.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS.

You have encountered the runaway starter syndrome. Seems like we discuss this daily.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70846-poll-who-has-done-dodhead-relay-conversion.html

Read up on the Doghead Relay Upgrade. One of our members came up with a way to upgrade this MAJOR problem.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

On the horn there is a diode on the back of the horn relay that goes bad and supplies voltage at all times.

All of your issues have been covered many, many times. Download the FREE technical manuals and start reading the troubleshooting sections.

Last edited:

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers.... It sounds like it could be a bad starter solinoid. My Chevy nova did the same until it fried the positive cable. So I changed the cables and the starter and it worked fine. Although it can be a bad wiring issue also. Let's see what these other guys have to say...

JGBallew

Hello Everyone,

I am stumped, my M1008 has more issues that I care to admit too. Here is the break down.

1) Starting system:

For the second time the truck will not start, it acts as if i need to tap the starter with a little hammer love tap. With the ignition all of the way off and key out the starter stayed engaged on the flywheel preventing the truck from running.I disconected the batteries to save the starter (killed the starter solinoid though). CUCVelectric helped me find that it was the starter relay under the dash above the 4x4 shifter. I replaced it with the HD relay recommended. Also had the starter (new gear reducted made for the CUCV - not stock but still 24V). It ran good for about two months - if that.

Yesterday I stopped and turned the truck off. About two minutes later I jump back in and try to start. No crank. I get out again to love tap it with the hammer but before I could get on the ground the starter starts spinning, with my broken leg in a cast I couldnt get under the hood to the batteries fast enough so when I opened the hood the smoke of the cucv gieny was already in my face. Starter relay? what would cause this to keep happening ( the relay never smokes nor smells of burning).

Anyone know what could cause this or what I should check for? Thank you.

2) Blinkers:

Will blink if I finger the lever : ) but not automatically. I have replaced the flashers, checked all bulbs, replaced front running light sockets. Any ideas?

3) Horn:

Horn didnt work. I tested the horn it was bad, I replaced it... no honk honk sooo I replaced the bad fuse (checked the rest of them too) then the horn decided to start blaring on its own. I had to remove the fuse again.

4) Glow Plug system:

Crap lol I will get into this later after I can get some help on the other stuff.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your knowledge.
Sigs-

Replace the switch. If you're REAALLY keen with the hemostats you can sometimes persuade the tiny contacts to realign and get another week of use out of that switch, but in the long run, just throw a new switch in there. If the switch really goes bad, not only will you lose turn signals, you'll loose brake lamps too.

The GM switch is not hard to replace, and it will involve you removing the horn bar to pull the steering wheel.

The horn bar likely has lost it's "spring" and is grounded hard against the steering wheel body, or the "wiper" for the horn contact ring has grounded. You'll have all of this opened up when you pull the wheel.

SSG ALBANESE

Thanks for the welcoming ya'all

JG - The blinker switch was changed as well. The emergency flashers work and blink on their own. All grounds have been checked and are great. Any other Ideas?

Starter- I never had to tap on the starter with this truck, I did in my old K5 but I thought that is what was wrong. It turns out I ordered the Doghead relay but and the standard starter relay, I didnt know what the doghead relay was for lol I set it to the side. It will be going in today as well as the new starter as I the white smoke of death took its life.