• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running 1 odd size tire?

Scout

I'm running 14x20's on my M813 and have already used my spare. If I were to blow a tire could I run a 9x20 on one of the rear axles to limp home, or am I going to have a problem? An odd tire on one single driven axle will be compensated by the diff, but I'm not sure how tandems plus a driven front axle will handle it. I don't expect there is any differential action between each axle.

spicergear

Your key words are "limp home." Slow speed because there will be a substantial speed differential and a lot going on to compensate for that smaller tire. I'd say to not run one on the front in nearly any case. Another thing you may be able to do is jack the rear axle up on the side that blew and chain it up.

Flyingvan911

With a smaller tire on one side, one of the differentials will try to turn at a higher speed. That could be a problem if the rear end is set up similar to a deuce. One diff trying to turn faster than the other.

Autocar

I'm assuming that you are running singles. If so, don't put the small tire on the rear because the forward and back rear axles are locked together by the driveshaft. The axle with the smaller tire will try to turn at a higher rpm than the axle with the regular tires on it. It will lock up the rear ends and something has to give. It will either break something, skid the tires or hop the axles until the springs break or an axle shaft breaks. If you put it on the front you are ok. The differential will correct for the different tire rpms. The front driveshaft will spin faster than with the regular tires, but the sprag clutch in the TC will let the front axle freewheel. The only problem may be unstable steering/handling. Or, you could put the tire on a rear axle and remove one of the rear axle shafts as suggested above. You would have to have a block off plate to replace the removed axle shaft though

Last edited:

kastein

I'd put the smaller tire on and then pull an axle shaft like people said above.

If you have any broken axle shafts or can get them (shouldn't be hard) you can make a blockoff plate by simply chopping the shaft down with an angle grinder or chop saw. Should keep the dirt in and the lube out.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would the 14.50R20 compare to the 395? Also, can you mount it on a standard rim. My current set in Hemtt and 395s.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My spare is an A3 wheel and tire. Same height as an 1100 but wider and has the XL tread pattern. Just like the 395s, you can mount it on a stock rim, but I don't think its a good idear. An 1100 would work, just not look as good.