• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

running rough...again

mucekok

just purchased and brought home duece # 8! it fired right up with fresh batteries after sitting for two years. seems to have a dead miss, turbo is leaking oil into exhaust, exhaust pipe is red from excessive heat, and pump looks to have been turned way up. found an extra injector in the tool box, and looks like a new one in #5. swapped around a few injectors and confirmed that they are all good. has no blowby at crankcase breather, no water in oil or oil in water, rocker arms are rocking away, but i still have that miss even after putting fresh fuel in it and letting it run for about 2 hours. lift pump is NOT working. cannot seem to nail down the miss to one particular cylinder, and am wondering if anyone has ever had these symptoms from a bad lift pump. ??? any ideas?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a laser type heat gun. Point it at each exaust port. After the engine has warmed up. The one that's colder than the rest will have the dribbling injector. Pull the air intake hose off. And try to move the turbo's compressor wheel up and down. Make sure the wheel isn't touching the air casing. There shoud be some free play. If it's not touching it might clear up with some hard running. Also change the fuel filters and run some fresh fuel. How many miles/hours have you put on it?

mucekok

just replaced the fuel pump with one from my 5-ton. had to change the position of the actual pump and trim the suction line about an inch, but same symptoms. had an idea that the hydraulic head may be weak on #5, so i plumbed in an injector and left it out of the head. spray pattern looks good. did same on #6 just for reference, same spray pattern. think i will go through and swap out all the injectors one by one and see what i can come up with. aua