• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running winch in reverse?

screamin t/a

Hello all, I didn't know if there was a better place to ask this than here so here goes. I bought a winch off of a deuce. I am going to place the winch centrally mounted on my '79 f250. My only problem is that the direction the my pto will be turning, when my truck is in reverse (cable will come from the back of the truck) runs the winch in reverse. I could always just keep the transfercase in neutral, but backing out at the same time as winching sounds beneficial. I was wondering if I could just simply re-wrap the cable so that it will feed in when going in reverse opposed to original placement? Also, when running in reverse, I have to "overcome" the drum brake would this be a huge issue? Is there a different way to do this? Should I disconnect the brake? I do not want to get into chain and sprockets etc.. I just want to run a single driveshaft like it originally was, just turned backwards? thanks again.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the very least you're going to have to disconnect the brake. When you run the deuce winch in rev. you working aginst the brake and will build up heat and eventually fail. When you're trying to winch the brake will be trying to stop it. I don't know if you would have any other problems running it in rev.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running a winch (worm gear type) backwards also puts the force on the worm gear in the opposite direction. Most winches are made with the force 'inward' on the worm gear. The bearings in the 'out' direction are probably not as robust, and may not have any axial strength at all!

Bottom line, the winch might puke it's worm gear.

mudguppy

:ditto:
i was also curious about the design of the worm gear face to bull gear contact. this relationship might have specific design to handle the forces which may not be present in the opposite sides of the worm and bull gears.

kind of like running standard rotation ring and pinion gears in a reverse rotation application - high heat and short life span with the potential for failure.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That winch is built to run in about any position that you can imagine, despite the above comments. The end housings have to be kept in an upright position for lube purposes. Other then that, if you look closer at it, the ends can be swapped to opposite ends of the drum shaft (flip the drum), its input shaft can be reversed in its housing (bolt patterns are the same, front and back sides), and the input can be assembled to be on the front or back, left of right. All by just changing the assembly procedure.

The fairleads like to have the line coming off the top. The various possible assemblies, may accommodate that, otherwise run the line, as you please.

Chain and sprocket is not all bad. You can adjust the speed easy with them.

Lee in Alaska

mudguppy

That winch is built to run in about any position that you can imagine, despite the above comments. The end housings have to be kept in an upright position for lube purposes. Other then that, if you look closer at it, the ends can be swapped to opposite ends of the drum shaft (flip the drum), its input shaft can be reversed in its housing (bolt patterns are the same, front and back sides), and the input can be assembled to be on the front or back, left of right. All by just changing the assembly procedure.

The fairleads like to have the line coming off the top. The various possible assemblies, may accommodate that, otherwise run the line, as you please.
so you can change the input side, rotation direction, and run the line top or bottom wind???

wow - that does open up possibilities...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely! Lay the winch in the position that you would like to have it working in, then re -assemble it so that the input, etc., is in the direction you want it to be in. Garwood made it so it would have universal application. When your done, you'll appreciate the winch a whole lot more. The worm doesn't care which direction it turns in. It is very low speed.

Lee in Alaska

screamin t/a

what about the brake assembly? The way the winch is now, is the exact configuration that I would want, except that the load brake is opposite. In my configuration, the load brake would be "on" while in feeding if placed in a deuce configuration...if you guys get my drift...let me know

screamin t/a

Hey great news!! the winch brake is reversible also!!. I took the brake cover off today, and disconnected the band, cleaned up the inside a bit, and then I saw that thre was a small plug at the top of the housing. Then I realized, I could just flip the band around, run the bolt through the top and plug the bottom. Now I can run the winch in the direction that I want, and still have the brake be useful! Just wanted to let you guys know. Lastly, I do agree that the winch does not care whether in or out, as the housing is fairly symmetrical.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks