• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

runs rich at first start up.

AllenEM

My bosses M1009 went you first start it in the morning or if it has sat all day start up and it seem like it 's running a little rich compared to mine. his smokes (black) and smells like a lot of unburnt diesel. mine smokes to but its more gray smoke. any ideals why his would be that rich. oh and he has to use his glow plugs every time he starts his. Mine I can go out 2 hours or so and mine will start without using the glow plugs. We both have push button PG's

Westech

CPL
Diesel running rich? hmm correct me if wrong here guys.. but a diesel does not have any intake butterflies or anything to control air flow.. Its wide open.. how the RMP is controlled is by fuel amount only. So if it were running rich the rpm would go up. I mean just my 2 cents here. You might want to think of other things why its blowing black smoke like a stuck injector, worn oil seals on the valves that leak oil down in to the cylinder while it is sitting and you get that burning off.. oil control rings.....also retarded timing can cause a smokey start up/running.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your smelling fuel on start up, I would individually test your Glow Plugs. I suspect you have one or more that are not functioning.

AllenEM

[FONT=&quot]There is a lot of smoke at stare up, but it is misty white or blue smoke. I first thought it to the usual valve stem seals being bad causing oil to drain in the cylinders while sitting for a period of time, but it has the smell of raw fuel very strong. I was confused by the fact that it seems to be so rich it smells like raw fuel but the smoke is not the black smoke you would associate with that.[/FONT]

ralbelt

I had some black smoke and apparently had a leaking injector, eventually hydro locked engine which caused the starter nose to break, I had the starter rebuilt. After the excess fuel leaked down the engine would start. I had the injectors rebuilt and she ran great only problem is white smoke from the left exhaust and looseing coolant so apparently I blew a head gasket.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks