• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust Fix and Prevention

stationjj

I am a new CUCV owner. I got my 1984 CUCV M1009 just yesterday.

The CUCV has very little rust I was really surprised. Being 28 years old.

The interior and exterior show no rust and it has a new prime and paint job.

Driving home 200 miles yesterday I hit rain which was good. I got to see water leaks. I got some water leaks from the hard top seal area. I have decided to replace hardtop and rear window seals. Got order placed with LMC.

I want to prevent any further rust. I am going to do interior liner using Durabak.

Today I had mechanic look over CUCV. While it was on the lift. I noticed a few rust spots not very large about size of nickel.

Since I am new to this what has everyone found to repair these rust spots?

With my research I am considering, Bondo, Fiber Glass repair, or expanding foam.

Also what is a good DIY under carriage coating to use? Or am I better off having it done by pro?

Thanks for any help.

stationjj

forest522

Firstly, Welcome to the group.
As for the rust holes, just a nickel in size can be filled with a mig welder pretty easily then sanded/ground smooth.
For rust prevention/control read about POR 15 products on their website and around this forum. Very good stuff! They make a rubberized undercoating that has rust prohibitor in it too. Eastwood has good stuff too.
Getting new rubber all around is a wise step too. Take the time to clean the interior surface thoroughly before applying paints/undercoating. Thus will ensure a good seal. My department has a M1009 that someone sprayed undercoating in and it's pealing in many places. It wasn't degreased or cleaned well before they sprayed it.
Also, be sure that water runs clear through the hood cowling and that it's not clogged up behind the fender. I've seen rust in the front corner floorboards and vent holes from this.
Replacing rust with good ole steel is always preferred but, a retired 30 year veteran custom auto body friend tells me that the newer bondo products (bondo ultimate) are very strong, easier to apply and flexible. Never too thick, but only as needed.
Good luck and enjoy the new hobby!
Good lucky

forest522

Oops forgot to mention. - get yourself or borrow a good angle grinder with some flap wheels (80 and 180 grit) and wire brushes to clean away the bubbly surface rust and see whats really going on the under the surface. The take it down to bare metal, fill the hole as needed and re-coat/seal.

stationjj

Thanks everyone for your advice. I worked today trying to cleanup and inspect my rust problems.

Overall I am pleased and surprised it doesn't have more rust. I have 2 medium sized holes rusted through and one small hole rusted through.

The 2 good sized holes are about 2.5 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. These are located by the door front and rear. After cleaning today they got a little bigger. I attached a picture.

I also got a 5-6 spots on the undercarriage that are rusting but haven't completely through.

I am looking to go the Steel route. I know someone that is a welder.

Again thanks for the advice.

stationjj

Attachments

stationjj

Thanks everyone for your advice. I worked today trying to cleanup and inspect my rust problems.

Overall I am pleased and surprised it doesn't have more rust. I have 2 medium sized holes rusted through and one small hole rusted through.

The 2 good sized holes are about 2.5 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. These are located by the door front and rear. After cleaning today they got a little bigger. I attached a picture.

I also got a 5-6 spots on the undercarriage that are rusting but haven't completely through.

I am looking to go the Steel route. I know someone that is a welder.

Again thanks for the advice.

stationjj

forest522

Good luck, looks like they are in the typical spots. Again, check the rearward end of the front fenders near the door, then inboard into the floorboards - typical drainage issues there.

Seems that some soldiers, using this vehicle in its command mode, sat on the roof above the windshield. Often butt indentations are there and that seemed to create windshield leaks too.

Othewise the CARC paint really did its job protecting from rust:shock: