• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust Locations

HDN

What are common rust locations on the HMMWV? The only things I've read about so far that really seem susceptible to rust are the frame rails and the wheels, but I get the feeling there are other places too despite the aluminum in these trucks. Are there other rust locations that occur when the truck is driven on salted roads?

springer1981

What are common rust locations on the HMMWV? The only things I've read about so far that really seem susceptible to rust are the frame rails and the wheels, but I get the feeling there are other places too despite the aluminum in these trucks. Are there other rust locations that occur when the truck is driven on salted roads?
Everything under the truck that is steel will rust from salt. Salt will also "rust" or oxidize the aluminum body. I refuse to drive mine in the winter on salted roads. Worse than the salt is the other stuff they put on the roads such as pre-treatment before the snow starts.

The steel under the truck beside the frame rails includes the front and rear crossmembers that mount the control arms. The Control arms are steel and rust also. All the suspension components etc.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks