• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust!

Jeepsinker

Recently bought four M1009s and one M1008. Three of the M1009s and the M1008 have rust in the rocker panels, the 1008 also has rust in the cab corners. Where do you guys suggest I get patch panels? I don't want to get stuck with thin cheap crappy replacements. Then again, I may just sell them when the titles come in.

nyoffroad

Lots of places sell rockers and cab corners, check your local automotive paint supply house. They may carry them if not will know who does. Get the full or "OEM" style rocker and cab corner. Both are made to REPLACE rusted parts and not just cap over them. The full rocker has a hole in the front for the lower fender bolt and also has the lip for the weatherstrip.

dependable

Mill supply has a full line of patch panels. The ones I got a few years from them were pretty good. It is good to dry out and paint with POR 15 or Chassis Saver anything you can get to once you have opened the rocker up.

txmytx_catahoula

I'll second nyoffroad, check with your local body shops to see where they get their panels. I was looking for some repair panels and what started off as $28 parts with $110 shipping, ended up being $26 parts and a few miles travel to a local warehouse.

Jeepsinker

If I can get them for around those prices I may fix them. Looking like I may not right now though. I have rust holes in the seam where the rockers and floor pan pinch weld together in the door jamb as well. So I would need full rockers and floor pans? I've never had to do any rust repair like this, so bear with me.

Jeepsinker

Ok, i thought that was a pinchweld where the floor pan and rocker panel met, and they just used that to hold the door weatherstrip in place under the entryway guard strip.

ltcray

If any of the metal is in solid condition, I've always used Loctite Extend to kill rust and seal the metal. In fact, I just got a M1009 that has a fair amount of rust on the underside of the rear deck. Going to wire brush it and put on Extend.

63bravo

no biggy just have your wizzer grinder and mig welder ready, than weld every thing in and prime it with mill spec epoxy primer , did mant cucv's

diehardcorvetteman

What are everyone's feelings regarding the POR-15 Patch Kit? I'm curious if they are an economical solution as compared to riveting or welding work (for those of us who don't have a welder and would have to pay someone for floor/rocker work)

63bravo

well it will fix the visible hole temporally, eventually the rust will keep eating. I would have new patch panels welded in, that's if your going to keep your rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks