• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusted out M416, worth it?

Mr45

Located an M416 in an industrial park close to my work. I'm thinking about rescuing it, but the tub and floor seem to be in bad shape, and the tailgate missing.

Is it worth my time? Can tubs/panels be found still? I'm not interested in the fiberglass tub kits.

dmetalmiki

They seem to go for around £500 here. $700 upwards stateside. So it rather depends on what you can get it for as to what you might spend on it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it depends on your skills. I've been looking for an affordable M416 for awhile, but I have zero welding skills so repairing isn't an option. If you can weld with minimal effort I'd say go for it. Is it just the tub that's rusted out and the rest is original?

Mr45

I haven't been real close to it yet. It's sitting in a private yard at an industrial building. I found out who owns it and I will try to get in touch with them on Monday. My goal is to get it for peanuts.

123mack

The M416 didn't have a tailgate. There was a flatbed version for gensets. could make one of those, maybe adapt some sideboards off a m105 or m101.

Mr45

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424049265.366002.jpg

The only pic I took through the fence.

Now I'm thinking...is it even an M416? I remember seeing tailgate provisions...

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut off lunette, rusted bed, hard to tell but the lights are probably cut and non-original... I'd offer scrap value. I just don't get why people chop these trailers up. It's cheaper and easier just to adapt your hitch, change the bulbs and wire up a light plug adaptor.

Mr45

Cut off lunette, rusted bed, hard to tell but the lights are probably cut and non-original... I'd offer scrap value. I just don't get why people chop these trailers up. It's cheaper and easier just to adapt your hitch, change the bulbs and wire up a light plug adaptor.
Thanks. Can you tell if it's anM416 or not?
Would you think it's salvageable? Or at least get it useable? Not looking to bring it back to all original, just something to tow behind my FJ, when my M1102 is too big.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squared off wheel fenders tells me it's a M416. It's probably salvageable unless the frame is rusted out.

Whiterabbit

If you're just going to drag it behind a civy truck then the ball hitch won't need swapped out/repaired to put a pintle back on but is it a safe mod??? Bubba can't weld! I've never seen a bubba mod I'd trust! EVER!
By the time you buy new tires and do repairs, make, buy or mod a wiring harness you'll be 400+ into it on top of what you paid for it. If it's just going to be a civy "offroad style" trailer I'd make a box frame with torsion bar suspension.
They do make replacement floor panels but they are pricy.

gerrykan

I just don't get why people chop these trailers up. It's cheaper and easier just to adapt your hitch, change the bulbs and wire up a light plug adaptor.
I have used these, and they are not very practical without a tailgate.
Remember most people do not ford rivers on a regular basis, and don't need a water-tight trailer.

There was a time when the receiver hitch did not rule the world, and pickups had sturdy rear bumpers with holes for a towing ball, and no holes for a pintle.
Also if your other trailers used a ball hitch, why spend the money for a pintle hitch and the receiver adaptor.

If it was not upgraded to composite lights, it would have the original type M-Series tail lights that do not offer much lens area.
Also 24-volt systems are a mystery to most civilians.

Why make a light plug adaptor if you have no plans to connect it to a military vehicle.