• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusted-stuck boom extension on M923 spare tire carrier

manders

I'm in mid-restoration and struggling mightily with the danged boom extension on my spare tire carrier. It is rusted tight in place.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  1. Liberal application of PB Blaster, wait appropriate delay, attempt extension rotation from welded-on cross piece on front of extension. No joy!
  2. Position tire iron on inner lip at rear of boom, pound furiously. No joy!!
  3. Use propane torch to heat length of boom, pound furiously at inner lip at rear of boom. No joy!!!
  4. Place dried chicken bones in old tin can, rattle liberally, dumb at base of spare tire carrier, arms spread outward, eyes skyward, and invoke mystical Santeria chant to Great MV Spirit in the Sky!

(Okay ... maybe I only thought about doing that last one ... :grin:)

Not that I'll ever need it ... y'all know my truck is in perfect condition, with brand-new tires, sits in a showroom all year long, etc. :roll: ... but I figure it might be a good idea to get this darn thing working one of these days.

All recommendations and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MAnders.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I have use parafin (candle wax) to remove stubborn lunettes. You have to heat everything up and allow the wax to be sucked into the space between the two pipes. It sometimes takes a couple of applications. What has probably happened is that the rust has welded the two pieces together. Is there a grease fitting on the outside of the pipe?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that problem due to sand that had blown in and then water rusted to where it was frozen. I used the extension from another truck, flipped it around so that the back end fit around the bolt and rested against the back end of the stuck extension. Liberal applications of spray lube and a BFH finally got it to move. You might remove that bolt if you have to and use another pipe to beat it out. Be careful beating the ears as they will bend and may break off.

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

I have use parafin (candle wax) to remove stubborn lunettes. You have to heat everything up and allow the wax to be sucked into the space between the two pipes. It sometimes takes a couple of applications. What has probably happened is that the rust has welded the two pieces together. Is there a grease fitting on the outside of the pipe?
I second this motion!! The wax at the right temp will run into tight spaces, let it cool and it will expand enough to separate the two pieces. The wax also is a lubricant to ease further movement.

manders

Not home right now to look at mine, but could you remove the main horizontal arm and drive something in from the other end?
The "rear" end is open; the inner piece is notched horizontally and slides into a small welded cross-member whose role is to prevent the extension from sliding out the back end. This is where I'm able to apply force to the inner pipe. I'm going to locate a scrap piece of the the same diameter, give all these rust loosening recipes a try, and then take a sledge and get busy! :grin:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coke will only work if it is clean and dry. I guess in this case with stuff allready put on the metal the phosphorus acid can not chew through oils and stuff like PB blaster.

manders

The coke will only work if it is clean and dry. I guess in this case with stuff allready put on the metal the phosphorus acid can not chew through oils and stuff like PB blaster.
As part of my restoration work, the boom was just recently sandblasted. It might be the perfect time to try the coke! Stay tuned ... :grin:

tbearatkin

I recently bought a radial arm saw and the shaft for raising the saw rusted and no matter how hard I turned the crank it would not move. I tried PB blaster, WD40 breakfree and nothing seemed to work. Finally tried what worked to free a frozen piston in a motorcycle years ago. Marvel Mystery oil and within 20min of liberal dose of it the shaft broke free. So Marvel Mystery Oil is what I recommend.

Last edited: