• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer (the red version)

tklm539

Has anyone used this. I was palnning on shooting it under the GCI I plan to use for top coat. Now I read that it cannot be used where paint is present only on rust. Something about fish oil? Anyone with any experience? Also if it can be used, should it be cut to spray.

If this doers not work, has anyone tried Benjamin Moore Z06 Alkyd Metal Primer?

Thanks

Tom

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a professioinal painter by any stretch of the imagination, but I have had good results with it. I have used it on wood, painted surfaces, rusted surfaces, aluminum yellow chromate primer and even bare metal. It makes a good uniform base color for the top coats.
I brush it on to work it in. Used Gillespie, Sherwin Williams and Aervoe top coats, sprayed and brushed on.
I let it "dry" for 3 days before putting a top coat on.

Attachments

CGarbee

I use it on everything myself (scuffed existing paint, clean blasted metal, slightly rusted metal, etc.). Cut it 3:1 with Zylene or Naptha (depending on temperature) when spraying with my gun, you made need to tweak the ration for your sprayer. Has worked very well under Gillespie on my rigs....

amanco

I have used this primer with great results on old steel. IMO I would recomend it for any area prone to rust. I restored a set of trucks about 4 years ago for an antique engine that had been setting out in a field for probably 50 years. Covered with rust and scale and moss etc. Cleaned them up and removed the rust with a twisted wire brush on an angle grinder, applied the Rustolium primer with a brush and have been happy ever since. Don't see why it would act any different than any other primer as far as over laying or application. Just scuff your base and paint away.

TedG

I have used on all of my restorations with very good results. I cover it with GCI. As mentioned waite minimum 2 to 3 days for off gassing/drying before covering with paint. Between coats, I use a brillo type pad to scratch it up a little.

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I use it. It has good adhesion, is cheap,safe, is available everywhere, will take most any top coat... Dries a bit slow more so at low temp.I spray, roll and brush it. JimK

maxim

I am using it right now and it seems to be great. It is forgiving for sags and runs, sticks to everything, covers well, and I have put Gillespie over it and it level well and hides a multitude of sins (but not all). I mix it 4 :1 in my cheepie HVLP and you have to tweek it some your appllication. After a few days of drying it is hard, and sands out nice if you choose. $26 Gallon at Home Depot.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have to admit that the stuff works well especially if the surface is prepped well. If you are not able to get the rust busted with a wire brush on a grinder or sandblasted and money is not a big deal I have used and recommend Rustbullet, the stuff is amazing. It does cost $116 a gallon but it is a much tougher paint that outlasts even POR 15 in certified tests.

RICE670

I have tried both back to back and I like the acetone better.Seems to flash off quicker .I am no pro, but I have painted alot of my stuff over the years. scott

KAILUAZ

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the info on the primer. I'm using it on my Mustang project and so far its turning out great. I cant wait to get some 383 rolled on.
You should see the faces of the "Mustang" guys when I say I'm using this stuff,, its pretty funny.
I rolled it on and used a foam brush in a few spots. I'm so glad I'm not doing a nice and shiny paint job because that would be way too much work :p

Attachments

scooter01922

Rustoleum all the way, i use it on anything metal that i paint. Sticks really well, is some pretty tuff stuff and stops rust in its tracks.

rivired

well just a testament to this stuff..i use the white version tho...i sprayed it on with a gun. with out thinning it...shot perfect ..outdoors..when it was like 30 degress out and snowing(i was under cover) but i did my whole duece after sandblasting and it didnt run..dried perfect y morning...its a great product...and ya i did it over clean metal..rusty as hella metal and over the existing paint with no problems at all.

OD_Coyote

I used the rustoleum rusty metal primer on the frame of my 1947 Dodge WDX about 25 years ago and it worked great and I have been using the stuff ever since with good results.

YankeeDuece

I am in the middle of a scrape and paint project and have some issues on how far to "scrape". Will this stuff "self level" (kinda/sorta) over spots sanded down to bare metal and look decent with 2 coats of existing paint feathered adjacent to it? Reading 2-3 days drying time may create a better base then some of the other primers available.

How does a brush application look? Are there and ridges left in the finish?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
YD, if you paint in the sun it will dry VERY fast and leave brush/roller marks. If you can paint indoors while its mild temp wise you will be happy with the results. It is a great paint, just have to know its idiosincrecys (bwaaahahahaha).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks