• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustproof your bed

littlebob

If you thin the bedliner stuff per the instructions you can spray it from a paint gun with a larger bore nozzle. You can also mix colors into some of the liners. Years ago, I saw a brand that you could purchase in any color imaginable. I wish I could remember that company...
I've heard the same thing a few years ago from a guy that custimized trucks.
He said he bought a special gun and they could mix any color like paint. I think he was getting his stuff from Carquest parts/paint here in town

The system I am using here in Florida seems to work well. After the rough scraping, wirebrushing, then blowing off everything with compressed air, I brush on Jasco Prep & Primer. It has the Phosphoric acid used to convert rust from ironoxide to ironphosphate, which is the black/blue paintable surface for which you are looking to keep it from rusting or bubbling in the future. After a 24-hour cure, I scrub it down with scrubbing pads and a strong base solution of 1:10 ratio heavy-duty degreaser from Sam's Club.
After that dries, I either prime it with rustoleum rusty metal primer and then paint it, coat it with bedliner, or in some cases use undercoating. The main product I guess I am recommending is the Jasco Prep & Primer. You can get a quart-sized bottle from Lowe's for about $10, and that would be enough to do several deuces. I think the last bottle lasted me almost 3 years. It has the viscosity of water, and brushing it on very lightly will do the job.

Seth_O

Has anyone ever tried Rust Bullets. I've heard it's good but haven't talked to anyone that's actually used it.
I used RB on my Landcruiser frame. I sprayed 2 coats of the silver automotive and one coat of the black top coat. I used a spray gun, and it went on awesome. I chose the RB because it took a minimum amount of preparation (I hit the rust/frame with an air scaler and washed it good to ensure no oil on the metal.)

I've found that the two coats of silver are holding up great. The black top coat seems to be wearing off in some of the high traffic places though (on the sliders where I climb in-n-out,) not sure if I did something wrong though.

Good stuff, would use it again, and would recommend it to anyone else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks