• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustproofing my MV

Marcel

I'm searching for the best rustproofing product available for the underside of my M51A2. I just bought two NOS doors and want to rustproof the inside of the doors before installing the glass riser mechanism as well. I was reading about a product called Rustbullet and the ad looked impressive. Any suggestions? I plan on keeping this vehicle for a looooong time.

dusterjh

Kano Labs (same guys that make Kroil penetrating oil) has a line of rust preventives and dissolver. I was just looking for the same thing and ran across it, if their rust stuff is anywhere as good as Kroil penetrating oil sounds like a good bet (btw I don't work for these guys). Here is the link look under the "industrial specialties" section. KanoLabs.com
I have used "zero rust" in the past and had ok results with it.
Hope this helps.

Joe Hance
Towanda, PA

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
International paint makes some primer/paint used in bilges on boats which should work good for a truck. Bring in Rhode Island you ought to be close to a paint store that wold handle the marine paints.

I believe it is KHA-303. It is a 2 part paint that acts as a primer or paint, in other words you do not have to overcoat it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4x4 Forever is on the right track. You need a 2 part epoxy primer or zinc-rich primer. All these "miracle products" are a waste of time. Make sure the primer completely seals areas where 2 pieces of sheetmetal are spotwelded together.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right, it is an epoxy base primer. The high zinc primers are mostly soft and require a top coat to seal the primer from the elements. ever see a car/truck/boat left in primer, it will rust without the top coat as a sealant.

Nonotagain

I'm searching for the best rustproofing product available for the underside of my M51A2. I just bought two NOS doors and want to rustproof the inside of the doors before installing the glass riser mechanism as well. I was reading about a product called Rustbullet and the ad looked impressive. Any suggestions? I plan on keeping this vehicle for a looooong time.
Here is what is used on the vast majority of US military vehicles and equipment.

TECTYL® 517

Daubert

cannonfodder

KROWN RUST CONTROL
Back in the 80's I sprayed some Canadian military trucks and I know they were using it on some American vehicles also. I remember reading the letters of endorsment after the US testing. With the winters we have here and the salt that gets used on the roads, the number 1 product in Canada should work in any state down south.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks