• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty crusty wrecker recovery

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All!
Went down to take a look at my M62 wrecker today, with BigUgh20 and a friend of mine. I got her cheap, and you will see why!

First off, she isn't a M62. After seeing several distinguishing features, she is a M543, just as others have suspected. Also is an early truck, as she was originally a gasser, and had no fender braces at all.

All winches are there, and complete. Rollers are not frozen, cables look like they could be ok if regreased.

Has the feet and long boom poles, ground spades, and a whiffle tree!!

We got her running without too much trouble. The gauges don't work, probably a ground issue, as there isn't much metal left between them and the frame!

Transmission shifter is stuck- it is out of gear and the oil was water free, so I'm guessing the shifter forks are all that are locked up. Amgeneral has a spare one we will swap out for the recovery. The transfer case linkages are frozen in the low position. All I need it to do is drive up on a trailer, so that's fine.

The in tank pump doesn't work. We got it to suck fuel up, but with steel lines, we already had a leak in the return line, so we think the engine won't stay running because there is a leak in the suction as well.

7 tires are still inflated, the other 3 are flat. They may air up, they may not. I will bring 3 spares when I come to get her.

As of right now, I plan to get her home, and strip off all the sheet metal, as it is all scrap. Take all linkages apart, and rebuild them. At least get her running good enough to use around the yard. If I can find sheet metal, and I don't find anything major, I will put her back together, slowly but surly.

Big thanks to Craig (bigugh20) for driving down and wasting his day messing with my rusty crap!

The true recovery will be done on the 30th.

I have video but I'm having a hard time getting it off the disk and onto the computer.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its great that it still runs. Once all that trash is off her, and take her to a car wash, on the way home, and it will look a hundred times better.

SPCWarning

Congratulations! Looks like it'll be a long project just take your time it'll be fun. I'm sure you'll find all the pieces and parts to get 'er back going. It's amazing how these rigs can set up for sometimes years and then fire off with old wiring, old fuel, and moisture that has probably attacked every electrical part. Now THAT'S quality and durability! Keep us posted on the progress.
Jimmy

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I think this will wind up being a yard crane, at least save it from the scrappers (well, not the cab and sheet metal) I will probably restore it one day.

But I need a road-able crane too, so I might just bid on a M936 :D

Then I will have TWO wreckers! Bwhahahahahahha!!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you have ONE wrecker, you NEED a second, that way if you have to RECOVER the first one you have the PROPER EQUIPMENT for a SAFE recovery,

The above REASONING sounds REAL good EXPLAINING to the wife WHY a SECOND wrecker showed up while SHE was at work :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why would you need another Ron? Just put it in hover mode (or was that airborne mode) and pilot it out of being stuck.

joeM62

Theres some guys in here that have some 5ton multifuel trucks they are parting
out in the parts section that or John Winslow. Hold on to the big stuff laying around
in the bed.

bigugh20

It was a blast getting that old gal to fire up again. 10 year old fuel, leaky fuel lines and all, she purred like a kitten, for a little while at least. I really wish that I could be a part of the actual recovery also, but I have to work:(.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! Wow, Multifuels never cease to amaze me!

Man, that body is sad. At least the battery box couldn't rust!:razz:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This outta be fun........ :shock:

I still think I should roll the 814 down there, and load the wrecker in the back.............:D:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess you have already resigned yourself into being called up for duty eh John?