• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty LDT 465-1C engine from GL. Any hope?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I won this from the local GL for I guess $70 once fees and taxes are added up. It has been left open for some time as you can tell from the rust. Has anyone out there dealt with one that was left out to the weather in terms of rebuilding it? I figure if worse comes to worse I might get some parts off it and sell it for scrap, but I would prefer to rebuild it at some time. I am going to go up there with some rust preventative spray to cover the important internal things while I wait for the EUC.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1126683&categoryId=1004

bozozimbo

You did notice it has a hole in the passenger side of the block at number two cylinder????
Nobodies gonna be rebuilding that engine.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I saw that in the pics, but that is actually a bracket and a shadow. No hole just rust. I took a brief look last week at it.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
What worries me is the internals with the head covers being removed , and the oil cooler/filter covers removed. Rusty cranks and such worry me. Most of the parts are on the bottom.

Blythewoodjoe

I bought one last year that is almost complete with turbo. I have two other engines and one of them is almost complete but I would never consider rebuilding one as long as they are so plentiful and cheap. Am I crazy, lazy or cheap? I bought the engine last year just to have a spare turbo and maybe sell a few parts off of it. Are these things easy to rebuild. I have rebuilt a few fords over the years and have promised myself I would never do that again. I think I used up all my patients back then.

By the way, are the engine containers worth anything? I though about putting mine on eBay because I can't think of any reason to keep it but then again if I don't need it would anybody else?

Joe Trapp

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,I would buy all the parts I could now cause they won't be plentiful for ever.They don't make these any more and one by one they are blowing up,getting junked,or just used up and left to rot.This is why I have more than enough Ford Diesel cores right now to supply a small fleet.

Blythewoodjoe

You're probably right. When I bought my first M35 in 2002 the dealer in Augusta I bought it from had a big row of take out engines. A mechanic friend of mine suggested I remove that weird "multifuel" engine and put in a Cummings or something like that. When I told him I could get all the take out engines I wanted for $500 each he quickly said he would leave that multifuel in it. I don't know if they still have those engines but I can't imagine they do or if they do they would still be any good.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's worth it just for the xtras. All rust does is season it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks