• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rusty wheel causing death wobble?

FLINT

Hi all,

I've had my m1028 for a few months now. Since I've had it, I could always feel a barely perceptible wobble in the steering wheel at about exactly 45mph.

a couple weeks ago, going down the road at about 35, I hit a bump and it went into a death wobble.

Since that time, it has starting doing the death wobble more frequently.

I'm going to replace the steering stabilizer today and will also rotate the front tires onto the back today and see if that helps.

One maybe silly question I do have is that one of my front wheels is very deeply rusted on one side - its been painted over, but has these big deep rust flakes that look kind of bad. Maybe this is silly, but I'm wondering if a really rusty wheel could be somehow contributing to the wobble. I've wondered if its safe since I got the truck.

I'm thinking of switching it out with the wheel on the spare tire and having them all rebalanced.

I meant to take a picture of the wheel this morning, but forgot between the house door and the car door.

Rattlewagon

out of balance tires are really good at causing DW. out of round tires are good too. jack it up and give them a good spin. check everything on your front end, including the rivets. also if you can, see if anything is bound up. Like tight kingpins or rod ends causing the knuckle to kind of a sticky snap instead of moving smooth.

I've had others say that after they changed their spring bushings that they couldn’t get their truck to misbehave... dunno. I guess if their shot, it's never bad to change them.

good luck!

91W350

I would look really hard at the tire on that rusty wheel, if you think that corner is causing your issues. I have found more than a few fair tires with nasty bubbles or belt separation. Put both front tires on the rear, set your truck up on stands and spin them up to the point that the wobble starts. If I was a betting guy though, I would bet on kingpin bushings. Glen

And just an FYI, the driver's side kingpin cap is, shall we say, challenging to get off the studs. Also, when putting them back on, a couple of C clamps come in really handy.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your drag link to if to loos on the steering gear box it will do the DW to & rod ends I would jack it up and do under side Inspection of all front running gear.
And ditto to above to bushing & springs for the king pins. It is the best money can buy.:jumpin:

Last edited:

mtjbrown

Alright Rattlewagon, whats with the IH avatar?? Are yiou atractor fan or scout man? I just ask because I have had several scouts and my avatar is my scout rockcrawler.

Mark

rnd-motorsports

King pins not bad to change. will bet that will solve the problem of DW! and sounds like I would look at that rim if rust is as bad as you say may need to replace it just to be safe!

FLINT

just an update,

I couldn't get the kingpin springs or bushings at any of the autoparts stores in town, so I replaced the steering stabilizer and rotated the tires and made sure they all had equal air pressure. I took it for a little drive around and couldn't get it to start the death wobble, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I'll go ahead and order the spring/bushing kit from the link posted in a previous post and then replace those when they arrive in the mail. Maybe the new steering stabilizer and rotated tires will help keep the wobble to a minimum until I can replace the kingpin parts.

I'll also be sure to check the other steering components next time I have it up on jack stands.

Thanks for all of your help!

Darby Calton

Death Wooble on 1028 dually

Been drivin dually for month straight, hauled a ton of wood home and" it to "started a wooble after hitting a bump in the road. Now does it when appling brakes. Is their a thread on changing bushing? I would like to make a wearite brass bushing instead of nylon. Thanks

It appears to be uber easy, as all you do is pop the tops and re-install, but in reality, can turn into an absolute nightmare of a job. The TM covers it really well, and there's a pirate link to a full D60 rebuild.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to jack up the truck and put on jack stands and do the check on the front end you need a big pry bar and some one there to turn the steering wheel back forth to check tye rod ends if they are loose when your truck is move it uses caster to go down the road hit a bump and have loose tye rod end it eill shake or so put dw.
that is my two cents.
Just went through this not wheels shock king pins tye rod ends and it was the first thing I look at.
they looked goog pulled them apart and they were junk so i replaced them no more DW.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks