• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RV Hauler

Bighurt

For a few years now I've been planning, on paper and in my head mostly. Converting a truck to be used as an RV hauler. With a growing family and larger RV's now available, I've been looking at using one of the big boy's. Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt or a Volvo as a replacement for the F350. My intent is for the longer summer vacation trips a few years down the road when the boys get a tad older. Local trips taking two vehicles isn't an issue so much but driving around for a few weeks will get kinda silly.

I'm hooked on trailer's although with a purpose built rig, a motor coach isn't much different. None the less I'm moving forward with a truck trailer combo.

Today the wife said in a passing sentence, after the house is done and I have a new car I don't care so long as it's 4 wheel drive. Well that was the fork that set me down this path. Considering the truck I was aimed to build was from a standard over the road truck. Front wheel drive isn't an option, at least not without modification. I already planned to stretch or blend the cab's to hold three rows of seats, 4 buckets and a bench. However adding a front drive train is significant.

Now I realize there are commercial outfits that do this at a price, there are also commercial outfit that will stretch a F550 as well. In the end I'm a DIY guy and the cost those outfits charge put's my project budget way out of range.

This inevitably brought me back to the military trucks.

For me there are two default trucks that fit the starting bill, M916A2 and M931A2. That is going with the intent not to replace the motor and trans, keep the stock drive line and modify the truck. If I come to the decision that those drive lines won't meet my needs and replacement is necessary. Than I might just default back to my dream of using a M920 or M916. I'd like to hang with interstate traffic, however RV's really shouldn't be towed above 65 mph, at least that's my opinion.

Most will require frame stretch which I will outsource. I will also bob the truck and build a tail-end hauler box. However with the front driveline and the use of larger tires, the hauler box will cover just the sides of the frame as the 5th wheel won't be lifted.

The M931A2's have been going pretty cheap and the truck is something I'm familiar with, however the M916A2 are something that will look better without wearing green. They are extremely hard to find though.

Not really any intent for this post other than to get opinions. Not dead set on a Military truck, I'm watch truck trader and local sources, however there is something comfortable about former military equipment. Then again I'm nuts as it is.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Danger Ranger

Do you have a sketch of some sort to let us see more of where you are going with this, like on a napkin, paper, Paint, or Photoshop?

A M109 would be too small...an M820 is too odd and large, and neither is a trailer setup. Is off-road in this truck's future, or just street/highway?

You said replacing the F350...so like an Excursion and a camper? You will need this for a DD right?

I think a semi would be silly, but a 4x4 conversion van would be sweet. Ultimate soccer Dad van, besides an MV right? lol

Good luck, this will be a challenging project...

Vintage iron

we are in the middle of a Off-road RV conversion on a M923A2 right now. we are planning on using a shipping container for the Camper section.

Bighurt

I think some are taking the term RV to meet their personally defined parameter. RV or Recreational Vehicle isn't one type of vehicle it's many, Class A, Class C, Pop-up, Camper, Travel Trailer and 5th Wheel are all RV's. In my case I'm referring to 5th Wheel. Most of the alternate vehicles mentioned aren't feasible, for a 5th Wheel.

Attached is a image of what I'm trying to accomplish, in this case a M916A2 with a 72" flat top sleeper. It's still in work, didn't expect so many replies... I plan to draw up a hauler box and Genny compartment in addition to dropping the axle. I may have to stretch the frame. In this case I went with a sleeper over a cab stretch because of the aluminum cab on the A2. I don't work with aluminum and have only dabbled in fiberglass. However attaching the two is nothing new to the truck community.

Yes Richard I've considered Air-ride, and since I'll be removing an Axle it will be an easy Mod.

The only complications I see is if I consider swapping the drive train, particularly to something with a computer.

The intent is not to make something perfect but make something workable. I may just find a F550 and have it stretched, then build a hauler box for the tail end. I know the project cost for that so I have a baseline I'm trying to beat. $33K for the stretch $67K for a new F550 and a couple thousand for a hauler box depending on make and model.

The T660 Stretched in the picture is available locally for $149K. Basically what we are trying to do is a 4x4 version.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

You probably already know this, but an M916a2 is going to be gear bound limiting top speed to 58-62 mph, and that's sporting 395x20 tires. You would have to modify the trailer for the taller tires.

I'd look for an International 4x4 power-line quad cab truck and convert it.

Years back you could purchase cowl and chassis model trucks, I don't know if they are still available except to companies building school buses.

I have seen all wheel drive school buses.

Check out the trucks on www.f650pickups.com for ideas.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Yeah, I have the manual, it's got a pretty tall set of gears.

Honestly I think my plan from a few years back, using a used Volvo is the best, but that limits rear drive. I've searched around for Converted M2's and International 4x4 and 6x6, but there isn't a lot available. At least not for a price under what I can get a F550 for. I know the two aren't comparable but it sorta sets my baseline.

I've actually had to use 4x4 while hauling my RV so I understand where the wife is coming from.

The build your own doesn't even let you select 4x4...

quickfarms

The navy uses civilian trucks that are converted to all wheel drive. You could easily take one and remove the extra axle, convert it to air ride and add a sleeper. Look at my avitar and album. This truck cruises at 58 on the low profile 22.5 tires, it would go a lot faster if I put on standard 24's

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are all kinds of Chevy/GMC Kodiak & Topkick 4x4 trucks available, some with the Duramax diesel engine and Allison auto tranny. 5500/6500 trucks, seem to be what you're looking for, with 10-hole hub-piloted wheels. I've seen them with dual rear wheels as well as Super Singles.

M920

Hey Jeremy,

I must say....I liked the original version of the design, the one you showed me a CAD drawing of, a couple of years back. The one that is based on the M1070!!!!...... ;)

Soni

Bighurt

Hey Jeremy,

I must say....I liked the original version of the design, the one you showed me a CAD drawing of, a couple of years back. The one that is based on the M1070!!!!...... ;)

Soni
Yeah, well nothing can compare to your original.

Believe me when I saw those lots of scrap at hooks, I realized my original will never happen.

BrainP

this is exactly what i am doing right now. i picked up a 931a2 last year and just stared my conversion project. the cab is going out the window to add some comfort, and then i will tackle the suspension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks