• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-457 shelter help needed

Crackerjax

I have an s-457 shelter (s-250) and it has a hole about 17.25 by 32.25 inches in the side for an 120v A/C unit I have no idea what unit when in there and where I can find one any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

135gmc

The S-457 was used for the AN/TRR-33 telephone & radio monitoring station. It had an air conditioner installed through the curb side - the AC was usually a 6000 BUT AC with a built in electric heater. Most of the ACs were built by three suppliers, but they were all identical. Hollingsworth built the NSN-4120-01-327-5447 AC. Its covered by TM 9-4120-403-14. You can get this TM at no cost from Free Military Army Manuals!.

Every one of these ACs is as stuffed with parts as possible. The design is about as complicated as it could be, with bells and whistles that you would never see in a non-military unit. You literally have to tunnel into them to do any repairs.

I bought one of these ACs for my shelter from Coleman's Surplus about a month ago, new-in-the-box. Expensive, but it came in a wood crate, with a barrier-bag, dessicant, and all the rest. The only thing that doesn't come with it is the power cord, and the connector is an oddball - its an Amphenol 5015 series connector with an offset alignment. I checked with surplus dealers, but no one had one - you can order it from Newark Electronics.

My AC needed a freon charge - the charging access ports from Hollingsworth gradually leaked the charge over the 20 years that it had been in a box. I replaced them with a newer style, ran a leak test, and added 2.4 Lbs of R-22. The AC really cools, but the fan is far from quiet. After this summer, though, I'll take a loud fan any day.

The AC units from Coleman come with a zippered flap cover on the outside.

135gmc

My shelter never had an AC, but I'm adding one. I'm trying to figure which location will work better - on the back side by the door hinges, or in the side like your shelter. In either case, I have to cut a hole through the side and build the mounting hardware. The end mount doesn't take any roon from the inside, but the result is a 160LB AC that sticks out 18" from the end of the shelter. The side mount doesn't make the shelter any longer, but it takes room inside the shelter. The installation is also a lot cleaner with an inside mount AC.

Can you tell me where the hole is in your shelter for the AC? How far is it from the front corner of the shelter to the edge of the hole?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks