• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-788 Build Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Everyone,

I realized, I never came here to share my S-788 shelter I got. Picked it up cheap so I couldn't pass it up. Figured it would be a fun side project if I end up keeping it, or making it into a nice shell, ready for someone to build out & sell it to fund some of the other projects I have going on. Plus, it was something different for my YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
Even though the thread is new, it was a long while between updates. But I just made a big step in the project!

So... @CallMeColt , did you ever get your box bolted down? How? Anyone else that's done this or is thinking of it, please chime in.

I'm actually thinking of chopping off all or part of the trailer fenders, leaving the flat horizontal parts and bolting through those into the box.... but I'd probably need to remove the box again to do that. I may have gotten ahead of myself by sitting it on the trailer.

I just dragged my s-788 onto my m-116a3 trailer last night. I'm hoping take it to Wyoming next month behind my Jeep, but I'm not sure of the best way to get the box mounted. I'm wondering if you came up with a good idea since that last video.

Also, any idea what the combo weighs?

Pics of my "western" style of getting the box on. I ran my Jeep's winch line under the box. Used my tractor to lift the pintle of the trailer as high as I could. Attached a snatch ring to the tractor, and back to the box, and hauled it up the incline with the help of a few 2x4s.

IMG_2779.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2776.jpg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
So... @CallMeColt , did you ever get your box bolted down?
I have not yet, but I have settled on fabricating brackets that come off the main trailer frame & line up wit the existing mounting holes of the shelter like the mounting kit to the HMMWV used. Figured this is where the weight is meant to be beared by the shelter so it makes sense. Then, I am going to put some other brackets that kind of "hug" the shelter in case it comes loose, on the front & back.

This is kind of a low priority project, but it's on the list. If I stumbled across an in better shape shelter, I'd consider swapping it as well. Then I could always use this one as a hunting blind or something.

Guruman

Not so new member
I have not yet, but I have settled on fabricating brackets that come off the main trailer frame & line up wit the existing mounting holes of the shelter like the mounting kit to the HMMWV used. Figured this is where the weight is meant to be beared by the shelter so it makes sense. Then, I am going to put some other brackets that kind of "hug" the shelter in case it comes loose, on the front & back.

This is kind of a low priority project, but it's on the list. If I stumbled across an in better shape shelter, I'd consider swapping it as well. Then I could always use this one as a hunting blind or something.
I was thinking pretty much the same. I'll be tackling this soon, I'll let you know what I come up with. Although, after getting the box on top the frame, I'm pretty concerned about weight and height behind my Jeep. there's a non-zero chance I'll scrap the idea altogether. If I were dragging it behind my LMTV, it would not care a bit, but the Jeep is rated at 3500 pounds, and with that thing sticking up 8 feet tall, my fuel economy will suck.

I guess I should get it fastened somehow and take it for a test drive. Thanks for responding.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I was thinking pretty much the same. I'll be tackling this soon, I'll let you know what I come up with. Although, after getting the box on top the frame, I'm pretty concerned about weight and height behind my Jeep. there's a non-zero chance I'll scrap the idea altogether. If I were dragging it behind my LMTV, it would not care a bit, but the Jeep is rated at 3500 pounds, and with that thing sticking up 8 feet tall, my fuel economy will suck.

I guess I should get it fastened somehow and take it for a test drive. Thanks for responding.
It behind a Jeep would be a lot, LMTV would be nothing. I'd be pulling mine with a Super Duty. Weight isn't the issue, it's all the wind it would be catching, but you never know. Maybe once it is on there, finding a way to lower it a bit my prove helpful.

Guruman

Not so new member
It behind a Jeep would be a lot, LMTV would be nothing. I'd be pulling mine with a Super Duty. Weight isn't the issue, it's all the wind it would be catching, but you never know. Maybe once it is on there, finding a way to lower it a bit my prove helpful.
I'm considering moving the springs under the axle to lower it like 4 inches.... and going down a tire size or two.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Well, after almost a year, GovPlanet finally sent me the title for the trailer. So, that will motivate me to get this moving a bit more.

Still not sure I want to keep it or sell it since the 4th child is due any day now, but I will make up my mind once the shelter is solid on the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks