• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S250 Towing

HORNETD

I'm interested in setting up an S250 as a mobile radio room on trailer. What I need is advice from those with actual experience. Can such a set up be towed with a Chevy Express van with the smaller eight cylinder engine without burning up the engine or transmission?
--
Tom Horne

Srjeeper

Tom, you shouldn't have a problem if you put it on the right trailer.

There's several threads about the different things done to & with 250's. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of good info and ideas.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom,

I have an S-250 that at one time was a ham shack and was strapped to a small homemade trailer. The trailer probably weighed 1000 lbs, and the S-250 is usually less than that with radios.

The 2000 lb package pulled well with a Jeep Cherokee (6 cyl 4L inline engine and wimpy auto tranny). No trailer brakes either, and stopping was never a problem. Brakes would be good though.

Suggestions: keep the height as low as you can. It's much easier to step into, and low CG allows it to corner better. My trailer had 14" wheels. Use a longer tongue on the trailer. Mine was short and really hard to back up without jack-knifing.

I also pulled the combo with a Ford E-350 van and hardly knew the trailer was there. But, that's considerably heavier than your van so that info is not worth much.

I knew another ham who pulled his S-250 trailer with a midsized car.

You can make a nice package!

Bob WB4ETT

PS: looking for another S-250 trailer in East TN area.

I'm interested in setting up an S250 as a mobile radio room on trailer. What I need is advice from those with actual experience. Can such a set up be towed with a Chevy Express van with the smaller eight cylinder engine without burning up the engine or transmission?
--
Tom Horne

rlwm211

Add an external cooler to your transmission and that should protect your tranny. That and intelligent operation.
A small V8 is fine for towing as long as you do not expect the rig to pull 14000 pounds.

Here is 250 on trailer

RL

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks