• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

s280 shelter questions

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an s280 shelter, and am going to redo the inside to use as a camper to put in my LMTV bed. But before I go too far, I'd like to know if someone can give me and idea of the floor structure before I tear into it. I will say that the steel slides or runners under the unit are nearly completely gone. The corners with anchor points under the bed are still there, but that is only about a 1 foot section at each corner. The floor inside is covered in the original aluminum still.

However the floor has a lot of shimmy and sink when walking on it. Did the steel slides under the unit that have rusted away support the floor originally? I am just trying to decide if I just need to replace that steel structure and all will be good, or if I need to dig deeper. Incidentally, the rest is in fair condition, walls and roof fairly solid, minus a few gouges and old electrical interfaces to coverup. When I got it home, the door had latched shut and I had to boost the wifey in through a cutout to let us in lol. Pic for attention LOL.
View attachment 781909

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic is funny as can be. In the pic, I see what looks like a rusty steel semicircle pointing up that seems to form a skid under the centerline of the shelter. I have never seen a S280 with a steel skid like that, only aluminum runners. If the rusted away steel skids are non original or removable, I would ditch them and set the box down directly on the bed. The shelter has an outer and inner aluminum skin with foam insulation in between. Maybe you can overlay the existing floor with plywood or some attractive modern flooring that will complement your new use.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, yeah that portion you noted is a skid shaped structure, which has rusted away with only a little left. Each corner has a similar piece, but with a cutout for a hook to hold down. I was thinking about putting a rubber stall mat layer between the bed and the bottom of the shelter to dampen sound and keep the steel and aluminum separated. I think if laying it down in the bed stiffens up the floor, I may put some simple laminate in. The sad thing is, I am 6'6" tall so I wont be in very much when completed except to sleep while camping or getting out of the rain lol. Thanks for your help.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KLK2.jpg Here is the inside as it sits. You can see down the middle of the room the impression of a support under the floor, pretty much inline with the remainder of the rusted skid on the bottom. This model does appear to have spray foam for insulation versus batten pieces in the walls.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess I should’ve looked at the data plate. Seller thought it was a 280. It’s actually an S-141 electrical shelter. The data plate also shows three long skids, left, right and middle lengthwise. I did some cleaning and found multiple bolt holes for those skids go attach. Looks like there is still the main inner structure there so I guess I’ll just use some spacer between the bed and bottom of this and roll with that.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4” plywood placed on top will solve the floor issues, unless you want to tear it up and restore it.
I did that to mine and not only did it solve the floor issue, the wood provided a warm feel to the shelter.
Hard to explain, but once you do it, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve converted a s280 into a camper that slides in and out of my deuce. I hate the metal floor. I restored most of the rest of the shelter, but just laid a piece of carpet over the metal floor, and it still has a awful feeling when walking on it, especially with your shoes off. I think even 1/2” plywood will make a big difference to the floor feel, and will add some to mine. The only problem is I already have a bed and counter/cabinets installed. I’ll probably just cut around the installed items and just cover the open floor you walk on.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I believe Ill add the plywood base and then just some of the new style linoleum strips. You can clearly see the substructure which is good for attaching the plywood. I spent a bit of time the other day patching up the dents and/or tears on the exterior, riveting on some covers. Next will be removing the door hinges and rebuilding them, as they have rusted out rather bad. Then it will be on to removing what is left of those skids and putting a replacement on. I am leaning towards just some 2x4 steel tubes bolted on at the corners. I think that would be better than not having anything on the bottom.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just laid the plywood down and didn’t attach it to anything.
The 3/4” is fairly heavy and stays put extremely well.
Doesn't move at all when walked on.

I was just in mine this morning and it’s nice and toasty.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we got some warmer weather recently so I went back to fiddling with the shelter. Removed the rusted skids underneath, riveted some patch panels over the few cuts in the out skin, removed the remainder of the shelving bracketry and replaced the door hinges with some greaseable types. I started just putting in plexiglass pieces with some AL "L" bracing to enclose the front openings. But after looking at one done, I think I may use a camper window with slide for both. On the agenda is some 3/4 ply for floor base and then outdoor carpet. I hoping to get it in the lmtv bed in the next month or so. Plan is to use it at the Denton rally.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it cleaned up and mounted in the LMTV. Sold the truck to a guy interested in converting to an overlander. Not sure of his progress to date.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks