• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

s788: Long Island, NY to Raleigh, NC

michigandon

This is probably a long shot, but I found three s788 shelters in New York and would like to see if there's any way that I could get one down here at a NON bank-breaking rate.

The S788 is 102" x 84" x 71" (L x W x H) weighs ~500 pounds.

If you can help, either reply to this thread or send me a PM, or email me @ donkasbohmATgmailDOTcom or call me @ (nine one nine)eight zero one-two one three two.

Thanks!
Don

fasttruck

The solution to affordable freight rates is don't buy anything on Long Island as there are $150.00 in tolls to factor in just to get in and out and then we figure milage and time after that. Depending on where to freight is on Long Island it can take a whole day just to go and and get back to New Jersey. Plus 400 miles and whatever other tolls acrue between NYC and NC.

plym49

The solution to affordable freight rates is don't buy anything on Long Island as there are $150.00 in tolls to factor in just to get in and out and then we figure milage and time after that. Depending on where to freight is on Long Island it can take a whole day just to go and and get back to New Jersey. Plus 400 miles and whatever other tolls acrue between NYC and NC.
? There are no tolls on Long Island.

Between New Jersey and New York states, yes. But certainly not $150.

And even with the tolls, which are free one way and double the other, if you are clever about selecting a route it is free both ways. (GW bridge westbound is free, and V-N bridge eastbound is free.)

fasttruck

Apparantly our friend Plym49 abobe dopes not have a five or six axle truck. While there are no tolls on Long Island don't foreget the Hudson River Port Authority levies and the Triboro Bridge & Tunnel authority tolls between the Bronx and LI. If you do not have easy pass then you better have $150.00 cash on you to go in and out of LI. Don't ask how I know this. All Hudson River crossi ngs south of Albany are tolled. Yea the V-N bridge is free eastbound, but did you look up the rate for five axles westbound ? And to avoid that then I have to pay the Whitestone or Throgs Neck crossing. And the city discourages large truck operations in Manhatten to use the "free" bridges such as Willis Av, Manhatten, etc.because
they want to force you onto the tolled crossings. So much for "free" trips to LI.

spicergear

I was on the Varazanno Narrows with my motorcycle and looked at the tool charge and they had motorcycles and buses the same price?!?! I asked the guy at the booth how come I have to pay the same as a whole bus having a fraction of the weight. He tells me, in typical -can't argue with stupid logic- "well you don't want 60 people climbing on your bike do you?!"

No.2Diesel

Toll info

Hi,

I've touched upon travel costs a few times previously in threads related to travel through the City but this time I'll give some specific data for those not aware. If there is anything wrong about my info, please correct me. There are two governing agencies that oversee Bridges & Tunnels within the NY Metro Area: The Port Authority of NY/NJ and MTA Bridges and Tunnels. All rates etc. can be found in the below links.

MTA Bridge & Tunnel crossings have a toll in both directions. B&T Crossing Charges

Port Auth. crossing tolls are only in one direction. Tolls - Bridges & Tunnels - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Travel through the NY Metro area can be expensive depending on the route. If you don't have EZPass (like me) the cash toll rates are significantly higher. For example... Let's go to the upper range of toll rates. Let's say you're like me, in a Deuce or 5ton (3 axles) and you're towing a tandem axle trailer (2 more axles, 5 total.)

The applicable ezpass rate westbound for the Verrazano Bridge is $47.26...the cash rate is $70.

A five axle truck/trailer combo would be $65 for any P.A. Crossing. The same combo would be $35 (they get you each way) on every major MTA crossing except the Verrazano (mentioned above.)

To leave the Island for free, I take the L.I.E. to the B.Q.E. to the Williamsburg Bridge into the East Village. Cross Manhattan on DeLancey and Broome Streets and it takes you right to the Holland tunnel. If I'm taking I-78 West, I can bypass the NJ Tpke extension toll by taking the narrow and dimly lit Pulaski Skyway. Take this route from 01:00 - 05:00 and you'll sail right through.

Coming home all I have to pay would be the $65 Outerbridge crossing toll. This assumes I'm coming back from the South and West. You can not travel East onto the Island without a toll.

These tolls have increased recently and as a result I've curtailed many truck trips out of state.

To get back to the original topic... an S788 can be carried in a pickup. That would be a $13 or $26 toll depending on what crossing/direction.

I travel with my MV to many states/places/shows on the main land and don't complain at all. Ask somebody to reciprocate and everyone's a cry baby. Just picture in your mind Stan Laurel from Laurel & Hardy, Whimpering. I remember arranging to meet someone to transfer a load I purchased as they were coming through the area but refused to come any closer to the City. I had to take my Deuce up to the Newburgh Bridge, haha.

Attachments

michigandon

I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to be worth the logistical heartache and sorrow to obtain one of these.

Everyones candor is appreciated, however.

plym49

Hi,

I've touched upon travel costs a few times previously in threads related to travel through the City but this time I'll give some specific data for those not aware. If there is anything wrong about my info, please correct me. There are two governing agencies that oversee Bridges & Tunnels within the NY Metro Area: The Port Authority of NY/NJ and MTA Bridges and Tunnels. All rates etc. can be found in the below links.

MTA Bridge & Tunnel crossings have a toll in both directions. B&T Crossing Charges

Port Auth. crossing tolls are only in one direction. Tolls - Bridges & Tunnels - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Travel through the NY Metro area can be expensive depending on the route. If you don't have EZPass (like me) the cash toll rates are significantly higher. For example... Let's go to the upper range of toll rates. Let's say you're like me, in a Deuce or 5ton (3 axles) and you're towing a tandem axle trailer (2 more axles, 5 total.)

The applicable ezpass rate westbound for the Verrazano Bridge is $47.26...the cash rate is $70.

A five axle truck/trailer combo would be $65 for any P.A. Crossing. The same combo would be $35 (they get you each way) on every major MTA crossing except the Verrazano (mentioned above.)

To leave the Island for free, I take the L.I.E. to the B.Q.E. to the Williamsburg Bridge into the East Village. Cross Manhattan on DeLancey and Broome Streets and it takes you right to the Holland tunnel. If I'm taking I-78 West, I can bypass the NJ Tpke extension toll by taking the narrow and dimly lit Pulaski Skyway. Take this route from 01:00 - 05:00 and you'll sail right through.

Coming home all I have to pay would be the $65 Outerbridge crossing toll. This assumes I'm coming back from the South and West. You can not travel East onto the Island without a toll.

These tolls have increased recently and as a result I've curtailed many truck trips out of state.

To get back to the original topic... an S788 can be carried in a pickup. That would be a $13 or $26 toll depending on what crossing/direction.

I travel with my MV to many states/places/shows on the main land and don't complain at all. Ask somebody to reciprocate and everyone's a cry baby. Just picture in your mind Stan Laurel from Laurel & Hardy, Whimpering. I remember arranging to meet someone to transfer a load I purchased as they were coming through the area but refused to come any closer to the City. I had to take my Deuce up to the Newburgh Bridge, haha.
Your comments are right on and as anyone can see, depending on the crossing you choose you can pay 4 times as much (double tolls) or zero.

The one thing I suggest you consider is to get an EZPass. They are fairly harmless, you save a great deal of time as often there is only one or two cash lanes, backed up for a quarter mile, and 12 EZPass lanes with no waiting. There is no requirement to use it regularly. Mine can go a year or more not being used. No problem, I stow it in an ammo can for those concerned about RFID readers.

The pictures of your rig in Manhattan are awesome! Thanks for posting.

Also, x1000 on the crybaby comments. I never cease to be amazed by all the so-called 'tough' truckers, hot rodders and bikers who are a'scared to come into or cross NYC or LI. :)

Ratch

I'd haul it to the Philly area of PA if I had a definite plan to drop off some equipment on LI in the next few weeks. I'd be coming home with an empty M101, which would fit a 788 awkwardly.

I used to live in Huntington on LI, and worked in Manhattan for a while. Every time I drove a large truck to or through downtown or midtown manhattan, without fail, someone would hit it, whether it was a taxi, car, or bicycle. Usually at a stop light. Once a pedestrian, too, but I don't count him cause he didn't leave a mark...
So for a while, it made me paranoid about driving in the city, but my wife's car and smaller trucks have been OK.

As far as a motorcycle in the city goes, there was a theft trend while I was working there. A group of riders would surround you at a light, you'd get friendly and chat with the guy next to you, two passengers would slip off other bikes, one would pull you off yours, the other would hop on, then the puller would run or hop on, and they take off with your bike.

plym49

I'd haul it to the Philly area of PA if I had a definite plan to drop off some equipment on LI in the next few weeks. I'd be coming home with an empty M101, which would fit a 788 awkwardly.

I used to live in Huntington on LI, and worked in Manhattan for a while. Every time I drove a large truck to or through downtown or midtown manhattan, without fail, someone would hit it, whether it was a taxi, car, or bicycle. Usually at a stop light. Once a pedestrian, too, but I don't count him cause he didn't leave a mark...
So for a while, it made me paranoid about driving in the city, but my wife's car and smaller trucks have been OK.

As far as a motorcycle in the city goes, there was a theft trend while I was working there. A group of riders would surround you at a light, you'd get friendly and chat with the guy next to you, two passengers would slip off other bikes, one would pull you off yours, the other would hop on, then the puller would run or hop on, and they take off with your bike.
One of the common bike theft scans. The first thing the rider/victim did wrong was to engage in conversation with a stranger. The second thing was not to notice that he or she was surrounded. The proper response if a group of strange riders surrounds you at a light is to blow through the light. The trick to avoid confrontations in the Big City is situational awareness, no eye contact, and always have a way out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks