• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sabatoge or Stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pickup tube will cause a no drive situation. Think of all the practice of dropping the pan you will have. ;-)

You may want to think about adding a drain plug while you have the pan off.

Skinny

I've never installed one but does an aftermarket deep pan for the TH400 come with a completely new tube or just an extension piece?

Jeepsinker

If you have the filter setup in yours where the filter actually bolts to he valve body there is no reason for a longer tube. The fill level is going to be the same even with a deeper pan, just more fluid below that line. Only reason for the longer tube would be if you have the valve body that allows the filter to be supported by the pan itself.

Jeepsinker

You don't need a longer dipstick either. You wouldn't believe how many people swap to a deep pan, put a longer dipstick in, and then end up running low on fluid all the time because they have no sense.

trooper632

I pulled the pan off a parts M1009, but that one didn't have a filter either, nor the bolt to hold the filter on. I will hit the junkyard in the morning to get a filter bolt, m1009 did have the pickup tube that I stole, I'll have it buckled up tomorrow and see what happens. The pan does have a drain plug on it though, that's nice.

Jeepsinker

As long as you don't neglect the filter changes in lieu of drain and fill then yes it is nice. Drain plug should just be used to make the service less messy. I would also suggest fluid and filter changes at 10-15000 mile intervals if you do much in town driving at all.

Skinny

My assumption would be the aftermarket deep pans would still fill to the factory level (indicated on OEM dipstick and same distance to valvebody bottom) but submerge the filter deeper in the pan. This would lower chance of cavitation or starvation at high operating angles. I could be wrong, never installed one.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mag-Tech make a line of high capacity trans pans for most manufactures, adds about 4 qts of fluid. Has magnetic drain plug and threaded boss plug for temp sending unit. I've installed several on Fords/GMs. Solid aluminum and powder coated.

trooper632

OK, All is good to go with the transmission. Put the filler tube and new filter in, 3 gallons on Dextron III and it works. Thanks to everyone with ideas, sometimes its the easiest things staring you in the face and you don't realize it until someone says "Hey Dummy what about".

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can rule out sabotage now?

Status
Not open for further replies.