• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sad day for my M1008

86M10086.2L

So while driving to the store earlier today my engine took a dump. Threw a connecting rod or more likely a wrist pin. Luckily for me i was close enough to home to tow it myself and beat a tow fee. So now I find myself with the dilema of sell it whole, if I can find someone who wants it. Or part out the military specific stuff and scrap the rest. Dont know what to do. Its not worth it (to me anyway) to put another engine in it. SO...yeah it sucks.

100acre

Terribly sorry for your lose. mine has been treating me like a toilet too. I seem to need all sorts of parts as well. wish you were'nt so far away, but I will pay shipping for needed items . What might you ask for said truck. Again sorry

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for a good solid truck, with a bad engine to put my 6bt into. PM me details if your serious about selling it as is.

86M10086.2L

Thanks, I do have a lot into it. But I always knew I'd never get it back. It was a fun learning experience. If I sell it whole I wouldn't be looking for too much more than scrap value.

Capt.Marion

Thanks, I do have a lot into it. But I always knew I'd never get it back. It was a fun learning experience. If I sell it whole I wouldn't be looking for too much more than scrap value.
****, if you've got that much in it, aren't willing to put a cheap spare motor in it, and want to sell it that cheap, definitely list it on the classifieds here and PM Doghead if he's interested!

Looks like a good truck that just needs a new heart to be as good as new again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ralbelt, your closer to him than I am. Go for it.

86M10086.2L

It's deffinatley going. Where it goes depends on what I can do with it. The truck needs other work. It has some rust typical for the body style and some mechanical issues. No issues that stopped me from driving it on a almost daily basis. But they are there. Im not a dishonest person. I dont imagine the truck would have been worth too much even with a running engine. And by the way its still runs, sounds awful but its still going. I loved it, had alot of fun expierences with it. Met alot of great people from this site and other places with it. But I'm not ineterested in engine swaps. My time with the truck is over.

txmytx_catahoula

Sorry to hear that you're done with it. The engine swap Really is easier than one might think. I did it with hand tools, engine stand and engine crane. It was my first ever swap, still have all my digits, most of my hair and the M1009 is still running great. Good luck with which ever way you go!!

kassim503

I know im gonna regret buying another, I am probably close by though. PM me and mabye ill look at it and fall in love with it and ill have a litter of these things.

Last edited:

Matt65

My advice to the OP. Let it stay parked for a week or so and don't even think about repairing it. Let the frustration pass, and see where you stand with it later.

The engine swaps are well documented and not that difficult. Which, by your post I'm guessing you know. Also, I have seen 6.2s sell for $250 running on thier way to the scrap yard. The truck as a whole still has a lot of value.

I know this may contradict my initial reply. I would love to see pics of the damage if you have any you would like to share.

Abbylind

Ditto :ditto: Park it on the side Relax and think about it later
They aren't making them anymore and later you'll say..."I shouldn't have got rid of it..."
I've had mine 10 years and I'm sure its going to take a dump sometime. I'll set it aside and work on it at my pace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks