• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SAE 40w Oil in Transmission in M923A2

purple_duckk

So I was looking at the Allison manual for the MT654 and unless I'm missing something it looks like SAE 40w oil is approved for the tranny if the ambient temp is 50° F or higher. Has anyone done this?

As I'm down in FL I'd think it would be a good heat sink and not get too thin too fast, but at the same time its a pretty far cry from the 10w that's typically put in it. But I also would prefer to not be the first to try something wacky.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of threads here on best practices for allison lube.
One factor to consider -are you going to carry or tow significant weight?

Mine came with dex 3 already converted by the military. I do not carry any weight and occasionally moderate tow. Very satisfied with my shifting and smooth operation mostly paved and occasional dirt road but no real offroad.

Others like the 15w40 military uses for heavy weights.

Others have speced the allison approved fluids. Transend? Or the multi use tractor hydraulic with allison spec.

All the best on your research and choice. For sure flush well and change filters.

purple_duckk

Lots of threads here on best practices for allison lube.
One factor to consider -are you going to carry or tow significant weight?

Mine came with dex 3 already converted by the military. I do not carry any weight and occasionally moderate tow. Very satisfied with my shifting and smooth operation mostly paved and occasional dirt road but no real offroad.

Others like the 15w40 military uses for heavy weights.

Others have speced the allison approved fluids. Transend? Or the multi use tractor hydraulic with allison spec.

All the best on your research and choice. For sure flush well and change filters.

Thanks, I've read a bunch of the threads on tranny oil and I saw a ton of different options. Looks like everyone mainly keeps whatever is currently in there. I didn't see anyone try 40w though. I'm going to be doing a full fluids/filters change on my new truck. My plan is to use 15w40 but my thought is the thicker the better for Florida's stupid heat. I have to think there is a reason nobody else did it though. I was hoping someone else did it first and I could learn from them. I'll keep digging.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, I've read a bunch of the threads on tranny oil and I saw a ton of different options. Looks like everyone mainly keeps whatever is currently in there. I didn't see anyone try 40w though. I'm going to be doing a full fluids/filters change on my new truck. My plan is to use 15w40 but my thought is the thicker the better for Florida's stupid heat. I have to think there is a reason nobody else did it though. I was hoping someone else did it first and I could learn from them. I'll keep digging.
It's best to use transmission fluid if you are doing full swap. It will shift better and stay cooler.

Transynd is the best thing for it

Steelreaper80

I just towed an M322 trailer with a 14K tractor on it from Indianapolis to just north of Philadelphia to Cleveland and back to Indianapolis. Needless to say I went through the mountains. There were a LOT of hills that pulled me to the bottom of 2nd gear and 3 that pulled me down to first. 11 MPH at full throttle for 3 plus miles. It took a long time and the truck engine and transmission were getting a workout. But........even on the last and longest first gear pull, the transmission never got above 230 degrees. The engine fan got a workout......but everything went well. I had 15W-40 in my truck when I got it but had it swapped to Dextron VI. It shifts smooth and stays cool.

m715mike

What is the process for swapping fluids in the transmission, say from 15w40 to Transynd? I assume you can’t get all of the old fluid out even with dropping the pan. Also, I’ve heard that you should not mix the two fluids.

purple_duckk

I just towed an M322 trailer with a 14K tractor on it from Indianapolis to just north of Philadelphia to Cleveland and back to Indianapolis. Needless to say I went through the mountains. There were a LOT of hills that pulled me to the bottom of 2nd gear and 3 that pulled me down to first. 11 MPH at full throttle for 3 plus miles. It took a long time and the truck engine and transmission were getting a workout. But........even on the last and longest first gear pull, the transmission never got above 230 degrees. The engine fan got a workout......but everything went well. I had 15W-40 in my truck when I got it but had it swapped to Dextron VI. It shifts smooth and stays cool.
I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my issue down to a valve body issue, not overheating. The gauge wasn't giving me the right temp. Adjusting the modulator didn't help and removing the solinoid connections didn't do anything either.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
My M923A2 had 15w40 in it, temps stayed low, and worked excellent. I grabbed either delo or delvac that met the Allison spec and away we went. Only catch was I’d let the truck warm up for atleast 15 minutes on the first start of the day during winter, and about 10 minutes in the summer, and drive gingerly manually shifting up until temp came up. Never a problem in 10,000 plus miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks