• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safe boost?

TsgtB

I have heard, that someone was going to put a pre and post "dual" egt system on the same engine. and "settle this once and for all".
(although its always an LDS or LDT with a C turbo).
Has anyone found the actual temp delta, pre vs post, on a 465 D turbo?

My short test run hitting 900* (post) at 6-7lbs boost, is it even possible that it would equal near 1200* (pre)..? after seeing "you'll need to add 3-400*" on a post probe egt. or those are power stoke numbers...

I'm just looking to help compensate for the 395's big tire losses. (if that is possible).
Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I know some know what i'm trying to say.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, I can't remember her screen name though. Maybe DH could help us out. (ill still do a quick search though)

TsgtB

I know I had seen "something"... plus my probe is 2" from the turbo, so 75-100*....!!! (for normal cruise) and almost identical at "work".
I can handle that.
THANK YOU....!!!!
Now I wonder what his boost numbers were running.

Last edited:

Katavic918

I have heard, that someone was going to put a pre and post "dual" egt system on the same engine. and "settle this once and for all".
(although its always an LDS or LDT with a C turbo).
Has anyone found the actual temp delta, pre vs post, on a 465 D turbo?

My short test run hitting 900* (post) at 6-7lbs boost, is it even possible that it would equal near 1200* (pre)..? after seeing "you'll need to add 3-400*" on a post probe egt. or those are power stoke numbers...

I'm just looking to help compensate for the 395's big tire losses. (if that is possible).
Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I know some know what i'm trying to say.
6psi and 900 egt sounds right on. The engines are tuned so anyone can operate them like a chainsaw all day long. I have since installed an egt monitor along with my boost gauge. I have an alarm light that kicks on at 1150 degrees (can't miss it). My boost hits 16 sometimes. I have decided that factory tuning leaves a lot to be desired, but in responsible hands you can turn your fuel up all you want. I personally would like my foot to decide what kind of performance is needed. As with all things, everything in moderation. If you really need to move...you'll be happy you have your fuel turned up.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I strongly suspect that "safe boost" unloaded and empty on the more or less flat roads in KS is quiet different from "safe boost" fully loaded and pulling a heavy trailer on a sustained grade in the rockies.

My unsolicited opinion - in Stock form it's a gutless turd that will live forever.

Turn it up all you like, and it's still a gutless turd. Except now it's a gutless turd that'll melt down and self destruct in short order.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've driven mine for days on end at 1200* on every type of fuel I could get my hands on. When I did head gaskets a year ago, there was no sign of melty metal, just some crap coked on the injectors. My pyro is before the turbo if anyone cares

TsgtB

So with 3/4 turn on the screw, she fired right up with no pedal.
After warming up, I am now making 11 pounds of boost and 1000* unloaded, 5th gear 2200 rpm on a very modest grade.
(up from 6-7 and 900*)
Pulls much better from lower rpm, and made a nice difference between 3rd and 4th when shifting at 2100 rpm.
Cruising at 2200 rpm it pulls very smooth up grade without loosing speed. Engine feels and sounds very smooth.
I'll pick up another couple yards of dirt in a couple of days and see what a difference it made for an average load.

Very satisfied

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks