• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety Chain extension size for M105

Crawdaddy

Thursday I'm going to be recovering my first M105, and from what I've read, to tow safely with a civy vehicle, the safety chains have to be extended. What size chain and roughly how long do the safety chains need to be? I was going to pick up around 3 feet of 3/8" chain and screw links, but I wasn't sure how thick the existing chain on the trailer was and if the existing chain would fit into the screw links opening.

Thanks.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just add to the other chain, so you wouldn't need that much. Maybe a foot on each chain would be plenty. I think 3/8ths is fine. The good chain is grade 70 or better.

Crawdaddy

Perhaps I should have elaborated better. I was planning on the 3 foot of chain and use 4 links, 2 to hold the chain onto the truck and to center the chain, and the other to hooked onto the existing safety chains to actually make the connection. That way I can adjust as needed and have a single length of chain that I can use for other things in the future. The 3/8 screw links will fit through the existing chain?