• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety Wire Hub to Drum Bolts

zer0

Hello All.

I am in the midst (or well very start of) flipping my hubs. I have done a bunch of searching around and was not able to find an answer so far. I noticed that in the TM it mentions safety wiring the bolts that bolt the hub to the drum. I noticed the heads of mine have holes in them for the safety wire, but, mine was not wired beforehand. I wanted to see, before I went too far, what pattern are people using to safety wire? S wrap, figure 8, etc. Also, is it even necessary? I assume, its int he TM, so it may be important, but, I thought I would check with people with more experience with this than me before I got too far afield.

Thank you

zer0

Well, that seems to kind of answer the question, some had safety wire, some did not. But the bigger one is, does anyone have a decent picture of theirs? all of the links were dead. But, either way, since mine have holes for it, then I will just do it, ill just use a figure 8 wrap maybe, doesnt seem to need to be overly complicated.

texas30cal

Mine were safety wired, figure 8 pattern in pairs, so 4 fig 8's per hub. I used my SS safety wire .032 iirc, but the originals wire was thicker.

zer0

Excellent, thank you, I will give that a shot then, for all i know the others are wired similarly, but this one happened to not be.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In my experience, it's a total toss-up as to whether a truck is safety wired. I expect they were all safety wired from the factory and at some point, a hub was separated from a drum and Pvt. Joker chose not to re-safety wire it.

Some of these are not great pictures, but it's all I can do.

My personal truck:
20141206_174917.jpg

A truck we had back in the day:
IMAG0504.jpg

zer0

Those are perfect, thank you, luckily that is about what i had in my head for the simple way to do that, but it is nice to see some form of verification.

rustystud

Remember these trucks where designed in the 1950's. Back then they didn't have a safe way to secure all the bolts without wiring them. Now we have "Loctite" !!! So if you want, just use a good grade of Loctite (red) and don't worry about the wires.
Now if you do wire it, make sure the back loop is "pulling clockwise" (tightening) on the bolt head. If not your wire won't hold anything.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember these trucks where designed in the 1950's. Back then they didn't have a safe way to secure all the bolts without wiring them. Now we have "Loctite" !!! So if you want, just use a good grade of Loctite (red) and don't worry about the wires.
Now if you do wire it, make sure the back loop is "pulling clockwise" (tightening) on the bolt head. If not your wire won't hold anything.
Lock wire (safety wire) and cotter pins are used extensively on my '69 757, not to mention the injection pump, so perhaps you should include the 1960's too. ;)

1969 xm757 safety wiring, lock wire, cotter pins, (4).jpg1969 xm757 safety wiring, lock wire, cotter pins, (1).jpg1969 xm757 safety wiring, lock wire, cotter pins, (2).jpg1969 xm757 safety wiring, lock wire, cotter pins, (3).jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my wheel hub to drum bolts I did both. Loctite and safety wire. I also replaced the safety wire on the oil pump bolts. Kinda awkward having those fall off I thought. At other locations I am more a Loctite user.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got this diagram from here, I think, guy said he was an aircraft mechanic. Maybe it'll help
wired nut diagram.jpg

zer0

I may try that on the next one, I basically did that but just on pairs, i might get a bit more ambitious on the next one, see if I can make "art" out of it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1998 M35A3 has all of the hub to drum bolts safety wired. It was heavier gauge wire than I had on hand so I found the proper wire on Ebay.

rustystud

Lock wire (safety wire) and cotter pins are used extensively on my '69 757, not to mention the injection pump, so perhaps you should include the 1960's too. ;)

View attachment 723152View attachment 723149View attachment 723150View attachment 723151

I don't remember when "Loctite" was officially sanctioned to use on brake and axle systems, but I believe it was around the mid 1980's . So I wasn't saying the only trucks that can use Loctite was from the 1950's but I'm sure you knew that already :wink: .

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found no safety wire on any of the six drums on the 1969 M35A2.
I would have seen it if it was there, used to wire as part of the job, jet engines.
Or did I entirely miss what the thread is about?
drum lf 1.jpg
drum lf 2.jpg

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no wire anywhere on my hubs/drums etc. I just finished bearings, seals, brake cylinders, lines etc. Should I be worried?

zer0

Well, from what I've been reading here, it seems like 1970 (my year) might be one of the first they started safety wiring? I mean either way, from my experience in purely automotive, this is not normally done on road going stuff. But I had just noticed the TM, and my bolt heads had holes in them. I mean from my perspective its probably overkill, but I also would be quite interested in what caused them to decide to start wiring them.

But, I, as always, will defer to those with more experience with these than me. consensus seems to be, put something on there whether its wire or loctite. or both.

Also, Frank, I cannot speak to the fronts, as I have not gotten there yet, so, when I do, I'll let you know what I find there. But on my rears, they look just like clinto's and that wire/bolts is what I was referring to.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you want to use Red Loctite rather than a Blue or Purple threadlocker? Doesn't the red stuff typically call for fasteners to be heated to 500-600 degrees Farenheit, prior to removal, to prevent damaging the fasteners?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks