• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

San Antonio, TX to Forrest, IL on 01JAN2014

Made it to Lonoke, AR today. No issues. 617 miles so far. I have averaged 5.7mpg, not to good but that is to be expected pulling the M872. Hopefully with a load it won't get to much worse, lol right. Going to try and get within 100mi of Stockbridge, MI tomorrow.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was only getting around 3.9mpg hauling Agazza's M146 out to Arizona, but then the 146 was completely loaded and has the aerodynamics of a barn, and I was battling those ferocious West Texas winds nose-on much of the way. Hauling the unladen M172 I got around 5.8mpg.

Godspeed, we'll look forward to positive news of your progress.

Cheers

Ridgerunner

Lots of snow with Ice underneath, up this way. 13 deg. today in West Michigan here, with the windchill in the negative numbers. Drive safe, and keep it on the road.

Picture's from today... it's a little different than your Texas departure picture. :-O
IMG_20140102_172610_146.jpg

Not the best of days. Started snowing when we hit MO. Not a fan of snow. But once the cars cleared off the road around 8p it was smooth sailing...until I went through Indianapolis and the chain storage box broke open on the freeway. I lost 3, 1/2in chains and 2, 1/2in load binders. State trooper told me to keep moving, they were gone. So that was a pricey lesson. Stopped about 3 hrs short of Stockbridge, MI after that escapade.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lessons get a LOT more expensive than a couple chains and binders. (that is quite a bit, but you know what I mean.) Keep the rubber side down and the painted side up. Hope you are trying to get out of the midwest before Sunday/Monday. Snow and frigid temps! Will keep ya in our prayers. Keep us informed and if ya need assistance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

God bless,
Tony

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point I would not shut it off unless you have 4 hot batteries. Supposed to be -11 tomorrow morning.

agazza2

Now I see why you were trying to get the heater going at the end of November. Hopefully it is working as it should be. Keep safe and have a good time. The M915 is always fun to drive. Good thing you have the M872 trailer on the truck for some weight, to make the drive in the snow a little safer. Looking forward to your updates and Photos.

ryan77

Good luck! Im northwest of Chicago if you need help! Its really cold up here supposed to be 20 bellow tomorrow!!

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safe travels to you on your return trip. I look forward to reading your full story on this adventure as well as seeing the pictures that go with it.

FarmerRob

Recovery from H-E-double-hockeysticks. Lots of stuff went wrong from breakages to the worst weather I have ever driven in but luckily there were no major vehicle malfunctions. While Mik was warm and snug in his M915, I was driving fuzzytoaster's M813 (no heater) with my '89 Blazer in the bed and my bobbed deuce in tow. I am SOOOOOOOO glad I moved out of Michigan.

A word of advice to anybody else planning a long-distance recovery: if you're going north, don't let the guy from California choose the time of year to make the trip! Glad we made it back safe but anything north of Arkansas can kiss my hiney between October and March.

Attachments