• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

San Diego to Gainesville Fl June

shannondeese

I am headed to Fl using I-10 in June. I'll be leaving San Diego if any one needs anything moved across. Within reason. I will be driving my Deuce with my 79 Ford on the 34 ft trailer behind me. So I can haul some small stuff generator size or smaller. Just let me know.

Goose2448

That is going to be one long butt drive. You might as well hit up Jacksonville just so you can say you drove ALL of I-10. Oh and there is a Krispy Kreme in Gainesville. Right down the street from Ben Hill Griffith Stadium. Will have to look up the address for ya. If you have never had one, you have to at least try it.

shannondeese

I'm from just out side of Gainesville. I am retiring and headed home. And I can't wait for Krispy Kreme, Krystals, Sonnys BBQ, and NO TRAFFIC JAMS in San Diego.

ABN173

Sounds like a longer version of my next PCS move. I will be towing my M1008 with Harley Davidson Night-rod on the truck bed, plus a few household items in the deuce bed from Tacoma, WA to FT Hood, TX this Fall. I convinced the wife that buying the deuce would be cheaper than buying a enclosed trailer in WA State. I bought the Deuce just a few days ago for a bit over 3k.
Oh I'm subscribed to you other thread you just posted, very interested in that aspect of alternative fuels.

I could retire now but I want to pay off a few more bills first so I got one more tour left in me then I'll be headed back to Papabear's AO in Columbus, GA.

-Dale

shannondeese

I've got 12 months left as long as head quarters Marine Corps approves my retirement. I'm ready to move on to something else. My aircraft have been retired so I am obsolete. So I get to be the base Substance Abuse Officer until I retire. Nothing better than dealing with DUI's and Drug users. Oh well it'll keep me to 20 and a retirement.

ABN173

My aircraft have been retired so I am obsolete.
Shannon,

I'm sure you meant your MOS/field is obsolete, you're a marine and I'm sure there would be something related you can do until retirement. Should for some strange reason HQ does not approve your retirement with your aviation background you could look into the Unmanned side. I know most aviators hate them, but its a growing field and I just read an article today about FAA opening up airspace to them in the states:
Pressure builds for civilian drone flights at home - Yahoo! News

Just a thought, oh and thanks for your service!

Psywarrior

That is going to be one long butt drive. You might as well hit up Jacksonville just so you can say you drove ALL of I-10. Oh and there is a Krispy Kreme in Gainesville. Right down the street from Ben Hill Griffith Stadium. Will have to look up the address for ya. If you have never had one, you have to at least try it.
He can't do that. He would have to go way out of route to do that. From San Diego up to the west side of L.A. would be a couple hundred extra miles in some really sucky traffic. From SD, he would take I-8 to Casa Grande, AZ and then pick up I-10.

Stop by the Alamo when you go through San Antonio. Not much left of it and it isn't in the original location any more (It has been moved a few miles), but it is still an impressive place to visit. And, spend the evening on the riverwalk. When going through Louisiana, stop at the east end of the big bridge (You will know it when you are on it) at the Tiger truck stop and visit the tigers and eat some good cajun food. They have some awesome gator tail there.

shannondeese

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the drive. My son and I are going to make it. We did it a couple years ago but we were in a rush then and did it in 48 hours. This time we're going to take our time.