• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sandy killed my truck help

Alexl2590

After spending 5hrs driving thrue flood waters rescuing people i drove my duce home ran fine but after i turned it off i went to bed and came outside to find it dead no power at all any idas what to check first im thinking of getting new batterys. mabe being in the water for so long did something to them thanks everyone Alex

DeucesWild11

Well I am no expert but how deep did you go? Also did you check to see if you left the power on? Or was the master switch completely off? Perhaps something shorted out in the deep water? The deuce can keep going without electric, then perhaps when you shut it off that was it. I think there is one master fuse on the firewall somewhere..

Alexl2590

the watter was only up to around the bottom of the door i know that they can run without electric but all the lights worked on my way home i dont know if that helps at all ill take a look for a fuse tho

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No fuse, just a circuit breaker

First thing to check is your batteries and connections.

Stan Leschert

Check all battery connections and get out a meter to check voltages. A few pictures might help, so we know what truck you are playing with. Get a shot of the Data Plate on the dash, and the bright boys can give you better advice.

thanks for doing your bit to help.

DeucesWild11

Well I am sorry if I can't offer more assistance here. Water only to the bottom of the door puts the batteries totally submerged in my deuce.. Don't know how that affects things as I have never forded in deep water before. Thank you Warthog for the clarification..

Only thing I know you should do is use the fording plug that hole in the bottom of the tranny, did you do that? Not that it has any affect on the issue you are currently facing but I heard you should use that to avoid future issues with contamination.... god I feel useless here.. sorry..aua

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: to all!

To the "bottom of doors" only? ... salt water right?
That is at least 1 foot over the batt's posts, fill/vent plugs, etc. - for hours... !?

Yes, check all battery terminal- and ground connections first...
2nd, if you had a multimeter, check voltage, each batt., between (+) and (-).

G.

Last edited:

Alexl2590

cant say i did but i was planing on changing all the fluids this week just to be on the safe side and yes the batterys where under watter for a good amount of the time atleast 4 hrs

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The breakers are on the firewall. I don't think there is one on the starting circuit. The lights don't come on when you turn on the main power switch and then turn on the 3-lever switch?

trukhead

Check the fluid level in the batteries. Are they filled up beyond the proper level?
If so, did warm batteries getting submerged in cold water allow contracting air space in to suck water in to the batteries and ruin them?

Alexl2590

the watter was brackish watter i dont know much about batteries but i know they didn't like it the truck is stone dead no lights buzzers nothing I'm thinking that when i ran it home it was just running off the alternator

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To prevent rust make sure you wash your truck VERY thoroughly along with your other maintenance. The brackish water will do terrible things to metal.